Outdoorkid

Dark Spots When Dying Leather? How To Get Rid Of Or Did I Damage The Leather?

I'm so sorry if this is the wrong category but I have a pair of cowboy work boots that the dye was really looking bad so I redyed them. Anyways I redyed them and ran out of time to put sealer on and water got all over 1 of the boots and made it look terrible so I scrubbed the dye off with water and bought some better quality dye and when redying my boots I noticed there is a couple of dark matte spots when applying an even coat?

Question is how can I fix this? And did I ruin the leather by rubbing it? These are my favorite boots and may take them to a leather repair store.

Why do I have a dark spot about the size of a quarter where I rubbed the dye off?

Edited by Outdoorkid

How long after scrubbing with water has it been? Those areas may have been scrubbed less/more. I have sometimes been surprised that I had matte areas after putting on wax or other treatments. Often I just had to polish the area with a soft cloth, focusing more on speed than pressure. I asked about the time that has passed because there could be either be a water stain, or that area may still be wetter than the areas around it (which should even out over time).

Edited by johnv474