Not sure if you call it a shooters bag or hunter's bag. Oh well, it's a bag. It's 9"x8"x3". Not sure what I'll do with it but it was fun to make and another learning process. My stitching and lacing still need alot of work. All things in time.

Tom

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

post-6291-1218287978_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1218287996_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1218288005_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1218288016_thumb.jpg

Well it's definetly a....manbag, that's for sure ;)

Looking great alltough my personal pref would be black lace but the contrast with natural will surely attract attention to it.

Nice touch with the stamped stitching grove and I always love it when cunning solutions is used instead of purchased hardware alltough that can be nice too.

What did you use for finish? It's very high gloss but doesn't look like the acrylic ones so much. Reminds me of the deck on an old wooden boat.

Tom

Well it's definetly a....manbag, that's for sure ;)

Looking great alltough my personal pref would be black lace but the contrast with natural will surely attract attention to it.

Nice touch with the stamped stitching grove and I always love it when cunning solutions is used instead of purchased hardware alltough that can be nice too.

What did you use for finish? It's very high gloss but doesn't look like the acrylic ones so much. Reminds me of the deck on an old wooden boat.

Tom

I used a Tandy's Antique stain "Dark Brown" and rubbed as much as I could off in the middle. Then I just finished it with Super Sheen and buffed the heck out of it. I like the deer antler clasp too. I had the antlers so at a friends suggestion I gave it a try and it turned out nice. Thank you for the compliments. I'm going to make another one Tom and I believe I will use a dark brown or black lace.

Tom

I used a Tandy's Antique stain "Dark Brown" and rubbed as much as I could off in the middle. Then I just finished it with Super Sheen and buffed the heck out of it. I like the deer antler clasp too. I had the antlers so at a friends suggestion I gave it a try and it turned out nice. Thank you for the compliments. I'm going to make another one Tom and I believe I will use a dark brown or black lace.

Tom

Oh really, I must try buffing more with the sheen sometime. Right now I'm giving a go with a beeswax based grease and get nothing out of it. I'm frustrated, should've sheened it.

Make sure you post that bag when it's done, I wanna see it.

Tom

Hello carr52.

Nice work. I think the light coloured lace really looks great against the darker leather.

Cheers.

C79

That's a very nice man's ' carry my stuff in and look cool" bag. Great job!!

Boy, I really like this design and the colors. Nice job!

ArtS

Very nice Shoounter bag with great color and shape.

hi nice bag keep up the good work( bob ) :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you for the compliments everyone. Your comments and critiques mean alot to me. I have learned so very much from all of you.

Tom

Love the bag amazing work ! :rockon:

I have a few quastions :wub:

How long did it take you to lace it? :o

Did you use one piece of lace? how long?

Edited by Tipus

Love the bag amazing work ! :rockon:

I have a few quastions :wub:

How long did it take you to lace it? :o

Did you use one piece of lace? how long?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I like to use small pieces of lace. About 8 ft. is the longest I'll work with. I think it's easier to make a splice than it is to fight with a long peice of lace. For the splice I skive the ends of the lace and use leather weld to glue the splice together. Not too sure about how long it took me to make it cause I tend to work on more than one thing at a time. But if I had to take a guess I would say it took about 3 or 4 hours. Not counting drying time for the stain and finish.

Tom

Nice lace. Use shorter pieces. The lace will stay crisp and good looking. 8' lengths make the end of the 8' look dogged and beat up. I generally use 18" to 20" lenths and have learned how to wet seam and hide the seams. It takes a pro to find 'em

My .2$

Nice lace. Use shorter pieces. The lace will stay crisp and good looking. 8' lengths make the end of the 8' look dogged and beat up. I generally use 18" to 20" lenths and have learned how to wet seam and hide the seams. It takes a pro to find 'em

My .2$

What is wet seaming, can you explain it or point me in the directions of a book or tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I like to use small pieces of lace. About 8 ft. is the longest I'll work with. I think it's easier to make a splice than it is to fight with a long peice of lace. For the splice I skive the ends of the lace and use leather weld to glue the splice together. Not too sure about how long it took me to make it cause I tend to work on more than one thing at a time. But if I had to take a guess I would say it took about 3 or 4 hours. Not counting drying time for the stain and finish.

Tom

OK, never thought of glueing the pieces - dont you have sort of a break in the leather? or you hibe it somehow?

is contact cement as good as the leather weld for the splice?

in the few projects I made, I used 30' of lace and it looked like a rag halfway through the lacing

probably increased the time I spent lacing ...

Thanx in advance

T

Edited by Tipus

I can only add on a couple of things, contact cement wont hold like leather weld does. The contact cement is good for holding things while you sew them together. If you use leather weld properly it will hold leather like no tomorrow.

On the lace I use what I can handle. Smaller projects I try to make it one piece but larger ones its not worth it trying to fight with that much lace.

Another thing wax the lace, itll make it easier to lace up and also help keep it from fraying and looking bad on ya.

OK, never thought of glueing the pieces - dont you have sort of a break in the leather? or you hibe it somehow?

is contact cement as good as the leather weld for the splice?

in the few projects I made, I used 30' of lace and it looked like a rag halfway through the lacing

probably increased the time I spent lacing ...

Thanx in advance

T

Yes it does tend to get beat up and raggedy lookin when you pull 30' through sixty or seventy holes.

Wet seaming is using glue (ie; Barge, leather Weld, Contact Cement) to join smaller pieces. take a sharp knife ( I use an Xacto knife) to split one side of the lace on the top and one side on the bottom. Split the difference between the two so the glued piece is as thick as a normal piece. When I hide the seam when doing double loop lace I usually do it when tucking the lace under the cross lace. Make Sense? Would you like photos?

Yes it does tend to get beat up and raggedy lookin when you pull 30' through sixty or seventy holes.

Wet seaming is using glue (ie; Barge, leather Weld, Contact Cement) to join smaller pieces. take a sharp knife ( I use an Xacto knife) to split one side of the lace on the top and one side on the bottom. Split the difference between the two so the glued piece is as thick as a normal piece. When I hide the seam when doing double loop lace I usually do it when tucking the lace under the cross lace. Make Sense? Would you like photos?

Photos, as they say, are worth a thousand words!! It would be awesome if you have some to post.

My .2$

Your so right Badlove. I'll be using much smaller pieces from now on. Thats what I love about htis site. Learning something every time I log on is the norm. Thanks all.

Tom

I think it's a great looking bag! I love the contrast. The size is very nice too. Heck you can sling that bag around your neck and down one side, put your .45 in there along with whatever goodies you want to carry and you have a nice concealed carry bag for hot days when you are running around in shorts at the beach and can't find a place to stow your gun.

It looks a lot nicer than a Fatboy Versipack, it doesn't scream "Shoot me first", and a guy probably wouldn't or at least shouldn't feel sissyish toting it.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: