MadTailor

need to find a place to produce this:

So here is the deal . I need to find some place that will be able to replicate the luggage bag on the picture. I have been asked to make more just like it. I'm not set up for big orders and will be great if I can find a place to do it all in one spot. Have been pointed to Mexico, but that will be my second choice, since the unknown territory. Do you think that is fusible idea? Any info will be great, Thank you.

my e-mail is: milen(at sign)madtailorleather.com

changed by Mod to foil email addy sniffers -- Art

attachment-9.jpg

attachment-2.jpg

attachment-3.jpg

I'm guessing with all that braiding, Mexico would be the only place to go. Imagine paying someone to do that? Whew!

I'd also say Mexico or Pakistan, China, as much as I would love to get an order to make 15 or 20 of those cases, it would cost you dearly to have me lace them. Good luck in your search.

Ken

There are still some large saddlery companies, with carving and braiding capabilities in house, making things here, you might try them to test out a price.

Or...you could hire All of us to make them. E Pluribus Unum! Some people might make one a month, others maybe 10....You set up the final quality control, and payments...Trust me, that will be the wave of the very near future.

Just a thought...lol. You don't want to really hear my rant on Manufacturing in America.

I'd also say Mexico or Pakistan, China, as much as I would love to get an order to make 15 or 20 of those cases, it would cost you dearly to have me lace them. Good luck in your search.

Ken

I know the lace is the key here, but once you get on it is goes easy ......................... I have to go to full time job and the few hours after work is the time I have, not even counting my 10 mounts old baby girl in the picture.

Google the following,

leather manufacturers yoakum texas

then click the local business link at the top.

There are quite a few manufatures in Yoakum, if they cannot do the job, they may point you in the right direction.

Johnny

Mad Taylor, how many feet of lacing would one do on that bag?

My guess is between 16 and 18 feet of lacing, going on the size of the hand in the one picture.

But yes it would be interesting to know how much there actually is.

Ken

My guess is between 16 and 18 feet of lacing, going on the size of the hand in the one picture.But yes it would be interesting to know how much there actually is.Ken
ken are you saying that is the length to be laced.....?Ken, on this Belt i haved used over 70 FEET OF 1/8" LACE Edited by Luke Hatley

Mad Taylor, how many feet of lacing would one do on that bag?

About 50 (+/-) yards that will be 150 feet right. And that after switching to single loop

Bag is 19" x 9" x 10" closed

Open each side is 19"x18" and there is some flaps inside that are laced also. I lace it up in 8 hours more or less.

That is the thirth one I make like that and had ro reduse the lace for this one :)

Here is the second one, the handle was crazy to make and attach at the same time:

You can see the flaps with the lace. There is a belt that goes across and is laced like the handles. Also the sides are wet molded on each bag......I know it is not a easy task but ....

DSCF9111.jpg

DSCF9115.jpg

Edited by MadTailor

Luke, I think Ken was deducing linear feet to be laced. Multiply by 8.5 for double loop = a whole dang lot of lace.

MadTailor, have you considered correctional facilities?

Edited by TwinOaks

Yes Luke I was refering to linear feet, after reading the dimensions posted, and adding what I think is two 3 foot long straps, there is in the nieghbourhood of 26 linear feet to be laced. If you use 5.5 times the linear length, this would be 143 feet of lace, basically what Mad is using. No matter how you look at it, this is a lot to lace. Also, you are looking at pushing your needle through about 1250 holes, I know what it's like to lace this much.

Mad, are you looking for someone to just do the lacing, or are you needing the whole thing cut, carved, tooled, holes punched, dyed and then laced and shipped back to you, with the builder supplying the leather and the lace? Or are you just looking for someone to lace together what you send them already to be laced? This would make a whole lot of diference in someone deciding if they are interested in doing this.

Very nice looking bag by the way.

Ken

Edited by Beaverslayer

KEN,. 70'+ FEET, OF DOUBLE LOOP LACING IS A KILLER FOR ME.............

Yes Luke I was refering to linear feet, after reading the dimensions posted, and adding what I think is two 3 foot long straps, there is in the nieghbourhood of 26 linear feet to be laced. If you use 5.5 times the linear length, this would be 143 feet of lace, basically what Mad is using. No matter how you look at it, this is a lot to lace. Also, you are looking at pushing your needle through about 1250 holes, I know what it's like to lace this much.

Mad, are you looking for someone to just do the lacing, or are you needing the whole thing cut, carved, tooled, holes punched, dyed and then laced and shipped back to you, with the builder supplying the leather and the lace? Or are you just looking for someone to lace together what you send them already to be laced? This would make a whole lot of diference in someone deciding if they are interested in doing this.

Very nice looking bag by the way.

Ken

The ideal will be to have the whole thing made. But I know that is pushing the envelop there. I have been looking on my leather work more as an art form and one of a kind. So it happend that lady is pressitant on producing the bag and I start thinking of it a s "why not", right :)

I'm in the clothing manufacturing and have been outsourcing garment sewing and construction for many years. No questions there, but as for the leather goods, I just do not have many (any) contacts . The process should be similar but the way I constructed the bag (molded sides, glued pig suede lining, fading color, and the holes....) I punched the holes after I glued the sides to the main body. Not sure how a perfect match can be achieved with clicking the parts out, couse of the curves, and the molding.

But my theory is: It has been done once , so could be done many more times. What the price on that is, that what I'm trying to figure out ????

KEN,. 70'+ FEET, OF DOUBLE LOOP LACING IS A KILLER FOR ME.............

I know man. :16: The very first bag of the three was all double lop. I had to go and get my eyes puled apart and not even talking of my fingers.

How many are you talking about being made - 5, 10, 20, 50? What kind of turnaround (as in time) do they expect?

Edited by K-Man

How many are you talking about being made - 5, 10, 20, 50? What kind of turnaround (as in time) do they expect?

TBD, but I'm thinking 50ish.