Cyberthrasher

"gunslinger" Guitar Strap

This is a fun one I just finished up for a member of the blues forums I'm a part of.

This was one of my favorites to do so far since he came to me with "I want a strap like Joe Bonamassa's but with my name on it". From there we started talking about changing it and then expanding on some things he likes and in the end this is the design we settled on since he's also a championship shooter with a love of 1911's and AR's.

Feel free to point out anything that may need to work too. This was my first time using antique, clear-lac, and an airbrush. I also re-did the edges after the photos were taken and modified the slit into a slot with a small hole on top to keep from tearing out.

post-22094-058456900 1342729757_thumb.jp post-22094-096360400 1342729764_thumb.jp post-22094-095026000 1342729772_thumb.jp post-22094-023663900 1342729788_thumb.jp

Interesting design on the strap. Tell us about the guitar pictured.

That's my buddy's Ibanez acoustic. We grabbed it for the pictures since it had a good color, not that there's any shortages of other colors between us either.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who plays that thing whenever I head over there.

How did you apply the colors? Was the reddish applied first then the darker edges, I like the color combination it came out very nice.

How did you apply the colors? Was the reddish applied first then the darker edges, I like the color combination it came out very nice.

:rofl: You typed that exactly as I was responding to the same question in my gallery post!! Couldn't be any more perfect timing.

I like your sunburst effect !!! How do you do that ?

Light coat of neatsfoot oil - don't let it dry out so it will help pull the dye into the leather.

Harbor Freight "Deluxe" dual action airbrush (I'm cheap and can't afford a good one yet, so this will do)

cover everything with 50/50 Feibings saddle tan and rubbing alcohol for one coat, followed by a second coat full strength.

buff out loose pigmentation

another coat of neatsfoot oil

Go around about a quarter to 3rd of the width of the strap with Feibings light brown - again 50/50 followed by full strength. This time allow for some light overspray to get the shadowing.

buff and oil again

Go around one last time with Feibings dark brown, only covering about half of the previous color.

buff and oil. Keep buffing until it's clean of any loose pigmentation.

The purpose of the 50/50 mix first is to help the dye to penetrate the leather some more. I've read a lot of tests here where people have shown how airbrushed dye can have a tendency to just sit on top, so that mixed with the oil really helps pull it in.

That is a very nice guitar strap. I love the design and the carvings you put in it. It is well balanced and the coloring is great! th_Emoticon20201.gif

th_FrogRock.gif

Allen, beautiful job and I just learned things I didn't know all in one thread. Thanks, Cheryl

That is a very nice guitar strap. I love the design and the carvings you put in it. It is well balanced and the coloring is great!

Thanks Rohn. I was questioning some of it originally but then when it all started coming together as a whole the "odd" bits ended up fitting in with the overall scheme.

Most importantly - my customer is pacing back and forth eagerly waiting it's arrival, so I know he loves it.

Allen, beautiful job and I just learned things I didn't know all in one thread. Thanks, Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. Let me know if I need to expand on anything. I just did a quick summary there for the actual color.

You know that everything I know came from here, so there's been lots of reading to pick up on those different hints ;)

Guns not unlike black, go good with everything!

I'll have to try the airbrushing techniques you tried.

Interestingly enough, the last project I airbrushed turned out strange results over a few weeks of use.

Sprayed black first fading out from the edge, then sprayed a brownish color. The black started wearing off in area's, but the brown took very well beneath it.

First time I've had black pro oil dye rub off.

I'll have to try the airbrushing techniques you tried.

Interestingly enough, the last project I airbrushed turned out strange results over a few weeks of use.

Sprayed black first fading out from the edge, then sprayed a brownish color. The black started wearing off in area's, but the brown took very well beneath it.

First time I've had black pro oil dye rub off.

I'm kind of confused. Did you have brown under the black? I always put brown down and then black on top. For me it's more to give some color in case the black does wear off. But, I've luckily never had it wear off after I'm done with all my OCD buffing and oiling. I think by that point there's absolutely nothing left to come off anyway.

I'm kind of confused. Did you have brown under the black? I always put brown down and then black on top. For me it's more to give some color in case the black does wear off. But, I've luckily never had it wear off after I'm done with all my OCD buffing and oiling. I think by that point there's absolutely nothing left to come off anyway.

You and me both!

In this case, I did the black first! Yet it wore fast and the second color was just perfect underneath it. First time for me, and a little odd!

But I think I have the answer.

Aliens-meme.jpg