Skald

Two Questions About Types Of Leather

I am about to try out two new projects, one is a kind of small wallet, and the other thing is a kind of replica leather helmet.

The wallet I have in mind, should be similar to this one: http://www.koyono.com/Slimmy-Slim-Wallet-Alternative-p/m17546.htm

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of leather this is? I tried some two different kinds I have, one was obviously too thick, and the other one was too soft, or how to put it (it didn't keep it's shape, and folded outwards when stuffed into a pocket). The first type was cowhide, the other one was reindeer (no, I am no sami).

Anyway, it should be a quite thin kind of leather, but at the same time quite stiff it seems.

The other thing is an "on demand" thing, namely a viking helmet. It's for display only (in a tattoo studio), and won't (hopefully) see any swordfight or prevent any arrows from piercing someone's head. It should be somewhat similar to this one: http://leatherhelms.com/mod/pga/files/img_1011.jpg, but a little different model. I guess it should be some sort of a little" harder" leather? Then wet-formed and then left to dry. I am supposed to attach some panels with leather carving to it (once it's dry and finished I guess), to make it a notable display piece. In any case, I am quite clear about the manufacturing process, but I don't know what leather to use here either.

The thing is, I will most likely order leather for both these projects from Tandy in England (as it is way cheaper than here in Sweden), so I would be REALLY glad, if someone could offer me some advice - and preferably refer to specific product names on the Tandy Leather Factory we page, so that I know that I get the right stuff - and don't have to place another order as soon as it arrives. If someone has any suggestions for another retailer with similar (or better, of course) prices that ship abroad, that's of course welcome too. I ordered quite a lot of leather from Tandy a while ago, and was very pleased with both the products and the service, that's why I think f them first and foremost.

I am finally starting to get the hold of things now, and it's mostly thanks to all of you boys and girls, that have patiently answered all my stupid n00b questions here, and I hope you can help me this time as well. You are the best, honestly. :grouphug5vj5:

In looking at the picture of the wallets, I am guessing it is real thin leather, and they have inserted a stiffner of somekind between the cover and the insides. Thin plastic sheets or even cardboard can be sewn in, giving the piece the stiffness you desire. The only thing I would suggest in ordering kits from Tandy is to stay away from the pre-punched stuff. I personally don't like them, and would rather assemble and punch my own holes. Another supplier you may want to check out is Springfield Leather who is one of the sponsors of this website. They are really nice and knowledgeable people, and I believe they ship international. Sorry I can't help with the helmet. I would have no idea to do one,

Terry

Hi

I have looked at the picture of the helmet and it looks to be made from 3-4mm bridle leather , if tandy cannot help you conact - abbeysaddlery.co.uk - If you telephone them +44 1565 650343 and ask to talk to Richard Brown , if you explain what you want he may be able to send you a small sample so you can get an idea of what it's like before you order any.