arocco

Leather Sewing Machine That Can Handle #207 For $1K? Does This Exist?

Hello Fellow Leatherworkers,

I'm looking for a machine for stitching my leather watch straps and my budget is pretty small. About $1,000. I'm looking for preferably a flatbed machine as I already have a table and servo motor, but the machine I currently stitch on can't handle larger thread.

Any direction or help would be highly appreciated. I love the Consew 206RB but it appears that machine just can't handle anything more than #138 thread.

I know all about the 441 clones out there, the cowboy and cobras and unfortunately I just can't muster enough funds to splurge on one of those yet.

Any suggestions of machines to look for (used obviously) or new developments in this market?

Not sure what other 111 type machines can handle but my Singer 111G156 can handle 207 (size 15 Metric) thread w/o problems with a 23 (160 metric) size needle. There should be some good used machines out there. Maybe you should contact a local dealer or one of the dealers who have a banner on top of this website.

I have a Consew 206-RB5 which handles T-210/207 thread without issues. I've run 207 top and bottom on a couple of my Juki LU-563's as well. I'd say the Consew gets the nod for slightly more foot lift, stitch length and no thread tail holding, the Juki wins for bobbin capacity. Both are capable.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

DC you think the 206RB-5 can handle 207 all day erry day?

210 is definitely max for it, but not having done it all day every day myself, I'm not qualified to answer that one. I suspect it depends on *what* you are sewing with the 210 thread. Nothing seems the slightest bit strained when I use it, but YMMV.

-DC

My thinking on this is if the #207 thread you use is soft, rather than stiff, you'll have better luck with it. This means probably not using black on top all the time, unless you get a batch that does not act like a coil spring. You might want to try some of the bonded polyester that Campbell Randall sells. I have a couple spools in black and white and the black is definitely softer than any of my bonded nylon thread.

I recently put together a 153w ,once I got the right needles,138/207' bottom,top,sews like a dream. The table the fella threw in with the machine already had a speed reducer. Added a servo,and I was off and sewing. I've only sewed 207 since I've had it,could it do it day in and day out. It's 50+ years old and it sews effortlessly !I would say keep it lubed should not be a problem