lionfly

Steampunk Batman Cowl

I swear RavenAus and I end up working on the same projects... with that said, here is the cowl I made for a customer for A-Kon. My customer was kind enough to send me a mold of his head to make sure it fit :)

post-42601-0-78166000-1408077850_thumb.j

post-42601-0-62189800-1408077851_thumb.j

post-42601-0-31475700-1408077944_thumb.j

post-42601-0-29010000-1408077945_thumb.j

post-42601-0-25288900-1408077947_thumb.j

Yep, I've got the same problem, made two of these Rockabilly Batman cowls/helmets a few months back.

post-13606-0-53109200-1408105199_thumb.j

post-13606-0-74806200-1408105215_thumb.j

totally cool.

Very cool. That must have been fun.

Jeeze Louise those are cool! You both did a great job on those cowls.

There were sooo many issues with the construction of this. Even though I did a mock up, first in masking tape, then in craft foam, I did not sew the entire mock up together, but instead, decided that I could estimate a half mock up.... in the end, the mask was significantly smaller than anticipated and I had to do some extremely creative wetform/stretching over the original head bust. This involved soaking the crown/skull in water, but avoiding the molded brow and using all of my strength plus that of my sister to pull it down over the mold wrapped in cellophane.. then wrapped in a couple of diapers for padding.

In the end it worked out, but word to the wise... never take short cuts when patterning. Every project is a learning experience eh? :)

yeah im with everyone els on this, those are cool. I like that your customer gets his family involved to. they seemed to be having fun and he must have been so thrilled to get that mask. good work.

In the end it worked out, but word to the wise... never take short cuts when patterning. Every project is a learning experience eh? :)

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean! I did my pattern as a half head, just the one side, and had to completely remake it as I overestimated the width of the top panel. Trying to sew this one-handed with a hand-cranked patcher was not remotely fun either!

You did a fantastic job on this, great construction and execution. The customer looks fantastic :)

Edited by RavenAus

Forgive my ignorance, but where do folks go to wear stuff like this? I see stuff like this on the forum a lot, so it must be popular somewhere.

There is a plethora of nerd related expositions, societies, groups, and gatherings for nerds and geeks to fully embrace their passions for all things fanboy. There's the San Diego Comic Con, Toronto Fan Expo, Anime North, The Toronto Steampunk Society, just to name a few.

That's how I got into leatherworking in the first place. I needed a holster for my Zoe Washburne costume for Comic-con.

Here was my very very first project.... :)

post-42601-0-85318800-1408421986_thumb.j

post-42601-0-72124100-1408422069_thumb.j

post-42601-0-79932900-1408422071_thumb.j

Let's not forget the fun New York City Comic Con!

Hey here in Australia we have Supanova, and I've got a stall there this November! A friend of mine won the WA heats of the Madman Cosplay competition too so she'll fly over to Brissy for the finals as well. Looking forward to it :D

Very cool! I really like how you did the molded brow. That really makes it.