Mrs Barry Hicks

Leather Mugs, Kantros, And Viking Inspired Cup

So here's some of what I was working on over the last two months.

The first one is one of 8 mugs I made for a encampment for the SCA (Vlad's Pleasure Pavilion at Pennsic). I came up with the design. Carved and tooled all of them. Followed the fantastic tutorial that was pinned on this forum! And voila! This is what the finished mug turned out like.smile.gif

vmugfront.jpgvmugside.jpgvmugtop.jpg

The following is my personal drinking vessel. It holds 64 fl. oz. It's based off of a Kantros (Greek drinking vessel, normally made out of clay/pottery). There are three handles. The horse I designed is supposed to be of Persian influence. The rim on on the top is supposed to have African feel. I call it the 'Cauldron of Life'. I stiched the shapes and wet formed it around my daughters Tinkerbell ball. Hardened it with Bee's Wax. The Kantros is lined with a Brewer's Pitch and Beeswax mixture.

cauldronfront.jpgcauldronside.jpgcauldrontop.jpg

The last thing is my daughter's drinking vessel 'Baby Mug of Doom'. It is Viking inspired. The face I just carved on free hand and this was a test piece I was making originally but it sort of turned out to go to my daughter cause I thought it would be cute. I gave it legs and a tail so as to sit properly. It has a Japanese anime feel to it as well. :) She loves it. BMoD is also hardened with Bee's Wax and then lined with Brewer's Pitch/Bee's Wax mixture. Sorry I don't have any pics of the finished piece. I'll post a few ones soon. smile.gif

bmdfront.jpgbmdside1.jpg

I know it's kinda unusual stuff. But I'm just not the usual kinda gal either. wink.gif Hope you all enjoy them!

These... are... AWESOME!!!!

I'm intrigued by the 'flip' you did at the top of the handle on the standard mug. I imagine it makes it quite comfortable to hold. The kantros looks so authentic! Wow, 64oz... Get a couple of margaritas out of that bad boy and you'd be 'done'. And BMoD... We'll have to introduce it to my Beelze-bob bottle... It's a smaller skull bottle I made with leather horns sown on to make him look somewhat demonic, but he's just too cute.

Love what you did and am eagerly awaiting your next projects!!!

awe thanks! I love your work so it's great to hear your feed back. I'm not a master leather worker, but I am learning. I'm already in the mode for making a leather bottle but a notch up from the regular ones (though the ones I have seen here are gorgeous, I'm just different from that). And I have a new sword I bought and have been working on making a scabbard for it as well! (which I noticed one you had done one?) smile.gif Looking forward to seeing more of your work too. wink.gif