bking54

Is It Worth It?

I've come across a singer 431d with reverse. Granted its in a little rough shape missing the bobbin case, feed dog, and walking foot. Along with the tension devise. Is it worth repairing and using?? I have a consew 225 (no reverse ) to sew my belts. I was thinking of repairing the singer and using it BC of the reverse feature. Google has been no help, all ive found is a manual.

Thanks in advance

I would back away. The 431d is not the most common machine, parts may be scarce. It appears to be a fabric machine and not a walking foot from the pictures i have found, and likely is ill-suited to leather. If it worked why not try, but with its condition, spend your time and money elsewhere.

Ismacs.com has information on most of the common singer industrial models here:

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/index.html

My rule of thumb is, the less info that Ismacs has on a machine, the less common the machine. Less common machines, and specialized models are more likely to either have hard to find parts, or have been a lemon no-one wanted new.

Your machine is not listed, and i only found pictures of 4 machines on google image. Does not bode well.

If you do want to get this machine running for the hell of it, I did find a parts list online somewhere. You could use this to cross reference the missing parts for your machine and see if they were used in another more common machine. If they were used, bonus, they may be common and cheap.

Thank you for all this info sir. You mind if we change gears..... So I have a fully working consew 225 is it worth while/effort involved to add a reverse function. Or should I buy a new machine head.