CustomDoug

Bonding/glueing But Not Stitching For A Belt ?

I'm making a casual belt for jeans-wear and have on hand some 6/7oz Bridle leather and some 2/3oz Bridle leather... I think the 6/7 will be just a tad too thin by itself and I was thinking of lining it (at least partially) with the 2/3oz bridle. Grain on both outside and inside. The chunky design that I'm going for does not favor a stitched edge though.... so, is it conceivable to glue two straps together but not add a reinforcing stitch at the edge? I mean I know it's possible but is it something that's done often? I can think of highend bag straps that seem to be grained on both sides and not have a stitched edge - but... then again this will be a belt.

I have contact cement and white glue Tanners Bond - recommendations?

Doug C

I wouldn't glue a belt lining on without stitching. Possible I guess, but not something I would trust.

Chief

Like the above poster said, it might be look great at first, but probably just a matter of time before it fails. No stitching may work on a tray or something that's meant to lay flat, but on a belt, you've got two pieces of leather constantly pulling at each other, so glue just won't cut it.

For what it's worth...I always glue and stitch...almost everything, except maybe key rings...anything with stress on it needs both glue and stitching.

Yep that's what I thought guys.. thanks.

Anyone know of a seller of FULL-grain veg tan leather strips? I can find reasonably priced top-grain but not full, and that's what I'd prefer to use.

Doug C