Got a call today to do some repair work on an old broom handle mauser holster. Knowing the value of some of these old guns, I feel the need to keep everything as authentic as possible. Based on the time frame of production and the description of the damage, I assume the thread is cotton. Anyone have a recommendation as to where to get the best-of-the-best?

Edited by JoelR

I would try 5 cord Barbours linen thread. Wax it with Bees wax and give it a go. This assumes you are hand stitching it.

From the grumpy old guy. From my experience, those German WWII leather items, along with the Japanese, Italian, and Chinese that I have had my grubby mitts on are generally VERY dried out and actually brittle. If you try to ease an awl or even a needle through the existing holes, the leather tears out or (at the worst) breaks apart. IMO I'd leave it alone. It's better (and worth more) to have an original item in somewhat rough shape than to have an original item, damaged as the result a not-so-good repair job. JMHO Mike

Thanks for the recomendation and advise. Yes, before I do the job I will first make sure the leather is pliable enough to work with, and secondly that the customer knows that doing the work may make the holster usable again, but could be detremental to any value (not that the holster adds or subtracts much from these types of collectables).