treybecca

Shoulder Armor From Spartacus

Here is my replica of the shoulder armor worn by the character Lugo in Spartacus: War of the Damned. This was my first time doing everything in my power to destroy leather while not actually destroying it. No worries, no actual fingers were harmed in the making of the necklace lol. Now on to the left shoulder piece.

image.jpg

post-17044-0-30814600-1391219311_thumb.j

Very nice work! How do you go about 'aging' the leather like that?

It was a multi step process. I started by breaking down the leather by hand to creat the wrinkles. Then I wetted the leather and beat it against some rocks in my yard (which is great exercise btw). Then I used a variety if rocks and placed marks where I wanted them, including along any cuts I made along the edges of the leather. The cuts are more like swivel knife cuts and don't go all the way through except at the end. For the dying process I used a blend of bick 4 conditioner and dye in various dilutions, antiqued with a blend of Fiebings antique paste and pecards, and then went back over spots I wanted darker with pure dye. The whole thing was then conditioned with Aussie wax to bring out the depth of colors.

beautiful work!

That's really cool!