keplerts

Saddle Making Books

I see that www.proleptic.net (Shop Talk) is having a 50% off any one book for the month of March. So, I was wondering which sadddle making/repair book should I buy? I have the whole Al Stohlman saddle making series. Which book should I buy from Shop Talk that would be a good complement to the Stohlman books. One from John Hopper is there and another one but I can't remember who it was by. Any quick response to this would be greatly appreciated since the sale ends 3/31/14. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Tom

Tom,

Hopper's book is a good reference source. It covers everything from making chaps to saddle bags, and strap goods. It's a good book to have on your shelf. It isn't a pretty book because it has dated photos and they are in black and white; but for 1/2 price, it is a bargain. There's another book that is well worth the money to have and that is Harry Adams' Saddle Making Book. However, you'd have to order that from his daughter.

Ron

You can never have to many saddle making reference books.

Well maybe you can, but a good assorted collection always seems to come in handy for me.

Heres a link to the Harry Adams book -->> http://www.saddlemakersshopmanual.info/Introduction.html

I didn't pay as much for it as this link wants, but it it a good book to have.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Thanks for the replies! Anyone know anything about the book "Advanced Western Saddle Making" by Robin Yates? The description doesn't really say much. Any information or options are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Edit: I did a search on Robin Yates in this forum so I think I got the info I needed to make a decsion. Thanks!

Edited by keplerts

I ordered the book by John Hopper. Thanks for your input!

the book by Robin Yates is also a really good one. Covers a lot of material. I first saw reference to it in the information that Ann Stohlman sent me when I asked her about rolled rope edges a long time ago. Then I got some pages from it from Bob Pleyton on the same subject. Really clear and concise. If I were going to add to my library, that is where I would go.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info. So now I guess I need to order the Robin Yates book as wells. I got the hopper book for $27 shipped which I thought was a good price.

Tom

Tom, I can't say without reservation, that this is a must book, however; it is my opinion ( like belly buttons we all have one!) that this is a nice addition to your library of information and will give you some good sound information to draw from in your quest for how things get done.

Good Luck!

Bob

Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up about the sale I bought a harness book via my cousin who lives in the US, tried from here but failed as they don't sell overseas and with the saving made it worthwhile, now just have to wait till she visits in June to save shipping costs as well.

Bob,

I will for sure add Robin's book to my library and at $21 dollars isn't that expense. I'm looking for books that show how to do different saddle configurations than the Stolhman books do. Like, a twisted (rope?) cantle binding that you see on a lot of barrel saddles. I don't know if the Hopper and Yate's books cover this or not. Either way I have the Hopper book coming and will order the Yates book. Thanks for your thought Bob.

Fivewayswelshcobs:

You are welcome! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the sale! I just happend to see the sale advertised in Shop Talk magazine that my boss gets or I would have missed it as well.

Tom

Bob,

I will for sure add Robin's book to my library and at $21 dollars isn't that expense. I'm looking for books that show how to do different saddle configurations than the Stolhman books do. Like, a twisted (rope?) cantle binding that you see on a lot of barrel saddles. I don't know if the Hopper and Yate's books cover this or not. Either way I have the Hopper book coming and will order the Yates book. Thanks for your thought Bob.

Fivewayswelshcobs:

You are welcome! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the sale! I just happend to see the sale advertised in Shop Talk magazine that my boss gets or I would have missed it as well.

Tom

Actually that is why I contacted Ann in the first place and she put me on to Bob Pleyton in Willsaw MT. He sent me some pages out of the book on that very subject, not just the cantle binding, but also the horn and the front of the fork cover.

Bob

could any body tell me if the books on leather project you can do your self worth getting any help would be nice thank you