Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

What To Charge For Classes?

A middle aged fellow I met at an event recently would like me to take him on as a student. To this point, my experience has been solely voluntary at 4H and as a Girl Scout camp counselor; as well as leading a club for kids at a local church.

So, my question is: what to charge per hour? Is 20.00 too high? This would be evenings, in my home workshop, so that my husband is home to care for our son. I have the room, and plenty of tools, as well as scraps to practice on. (though he is going to be getting his own set of starter tools and will pay for his own kits)

You know what I'd do? I'd call around and see what local musicians are charging for hourly lessons, and base it on that.

20 bucks sounds fair to me, Holly

Sounds fair for private lessons.

I'm the suspicious type (As Reagan said:"Trust but Verify") so I'd recommend a background check before inviting anyone into your home.

I'm the suspicious type too! I'm hesitant at all to do it, but figured with my hubby home too, it ought to be okay. The fellow is a local Gideon (the guys that give out Bibles) and my father knows him too. Not that he still couldn't be a "bad guy"...but it makes me more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've been checking around while awaiting replies, and most folks seem to feel 20.00 is in the ball park. Yet I also know he's low on funds. But part of me says: if he really wants to learn the craft, he's going to need to at least put out for supplies, right?

Those are my thoughts at this stage.