tomh

First Chinks And A Question

I just finished my first pair of chinks, based on the Cow Camp DVD, which was great. I was real happy the way everything came out for a first time attempt until I took a picture to see how they looked on me.

I am wondering if they hang funny because I left too much material between the fringe and the side panels, i.e., should I have made the fringe longer, or am I being too critical, since horseback they will probably hang just fine.

if it matters the leather is cheyenne bucktan from Hide house.

1stchinks.jpgchinksonme.jpg

I am very happy with the pattern overall, as they fit and feel so much better than the store bought chinks I have.

I am going to do a pair of shotguns very soon and want to learn as much from this pair of chinks as I can before I start cutting more leather.

Thanks for looking and for any ideas on the way they hang when standing.

As you say, on a galloping horse. But in your quest for perfection; perhaps they are a little snug at the knee maybe the line of the plate should be a little further out, pulling the flare in? What weight is the leather? Rounding the corner line a little more to more or less follow the line the way the leather wants to flare. One thing I would draw a + from is that both sides are the same so it's not very likely some big blunder on your part. One thing I've learned in my many years is that 'this, too, shall pass' and so forge on

Your problem exist because you didn't size the patterns to fit yourself.

The trick to making chinks and chaps is learning to size your patterns.

Anymore I don't even use patterns.

I just take the needed measurements, and lay them out on a x-y grid of large card stock. I take these measurements,,,

Waist/hips.

Outside leg length. ( to where you want the fringe to end)

Inside length ( from just below the crotch)) ( to where the fringe would end)

Belt buckle to crotch length ( for the drop in the front of the yoke.)

Measure around the upper leg at crotch height around to just below the butt cheek. ( to get the wing piece ) ( I usually plan the concho piece down the leg to be at the seam edge where your outside pant seam runs.)

Then I just connect the dots.

The trick to a good fitting pair of chinks is measuring.

You need to know ahead of time how long you want your fringe, and account for the length in your pattern.

There's more to it, but you have one pair made. You should see where I'm trying to lead you here.

Joel

P.s. You did a real nice job using the cow camp pattern. I used the same pattern once and had the same results you have had. I gave that pair to a friend that they fit and never looked back.

Edited by GrampaJoel

Thanks for the input guys. I tried not buckling the legs so tight and that got rid of quite a bit of the extra flare on the sides.

I thought I did re-size the pattern to my measurements, but maybe not enough.

but I think that the overall effect would have been better if the side panels were closer to the edge of the fringe. Also the leg straps are still a little stiff, maybe adding to the flare by holding the chap leather out.

I looked at a lot of pictures online after finishing these, and it seems most chinks side panels are further outboard than these ones are, which still means that more material would have to be removed from the inside of the leg. I will probably give these ones away, and try again!

Thanks again for the insight.

I know this is an old post but I had the exact same results with my first pair of chinks. As Tom found out, I realized I was tightening the bottom straps too much. The top straps can go as tight as I want, the bottom straps must be loose, and the middle straps should be in between the two. After doing that I found that there wasn't too much leather in the back and the "winging-out" went away.