The hubby bought a new target rifle, and wanted to decorate it, as many people do. He asked me to carve a cover for the forearm and butt stocks. Here's what's going on the forearm. I will end up cutting off the very sides of the carving to make it fit around the stock, so I didn't finish bargrounding... Anyway, here's the very first thing I've carved that I like.

I still need to get a few tools more suited to Sheridan work....

IMG_0992.jpg

post-5039-1208987064_thumb.jpg

Very, very nice!! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Very nice, you're bound to be the talk of the gun range for awhile once he shows it off. Always liked the style which you executed quite nicely.

Wow wish I could do that good. Nice work.

Beautiful work. You look as though you have been doing it for years.

BRAVO!

pete

Excellent! Your decorative cuts are awesome.

A really superb piece of work. Beautiful work!!!! :clapping::clapping::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I am jealous.

hi i think it is very very good well done :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Beautiful and very inspiring... thanks for posting!

Hilly,

Looks great!!!

ClayM

Very beautiful stuff! Hubby won't be able to shoot straight 'cuz he'll have one eye on the stock. ;)

Tom

where did you get the pattern? DON"T TELL ME THAT YOU DREW THAT TOO!!!!!!

(ok Hilly- here's the part of the show where YOU post something like...."OH!- thank you all for your glowing reviews! I had no idea that I was a sheridan savant!!"" thank you, thank you one and all......)

Okay Pete....

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL for your kind words.

And no, I didn't draw that pattern. I'm a bit artistically challenged in that area yet. I have trouble establishing flow in a pattern. Maybe some day I'll get the hang of it, and draw my own patterns. For now I'll stick to taking bits and pieces of others' work, and use it in my work. Hope y'all don't mind...

Just so you all know, anyone who has a pattern, the tools, and a will to learn, can do Sheridan work. It is extremely time consuming (at least for me), but very rewarding once you catch on.

I must add that six months ago, I never even knew what leather carving (much less Sheridan carving) even existed. I was given a link to leatherworker.net by someone on upholster.com. Now that I'm here, I find so many talented artists here that are such an inspiration to me. You guys got me hooked! Keep up the good work! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hilly this is an awesome piece. Beautifully done. I see you have Sheridan Carving on your "Interested in learning about" section. Well, congratulations. Your passion has shown it's pretty head.

Excellent work Hilly.

Beautiful and you have come so far so fast.

I wish that Sheridan motorcycle seats were "in".

I'd love to do one.

David Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Hi Hilly, that is a beautiful piece of work. I'd bet that you get some orders for some stuff after you husbands buddies see that. Great work and keep going, looks like you're gonna be one of the great one's in leather carving. Billy P

Hilly, that is a very beautiful piece you've done there, very nice coloring as well, thanks for sharing.

Ken

Hilly, that is a very beautiful piece you've done there, very nice coloring as well, thanks for sharing.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. It always feels good when something turns out the way you want!

The color in the photo does not look like the piece in real life. Only color I did was a light coat of oil, and some antique paste over a resist. The coloring you see comes from the flourescent lighting. I had 2 gooseneck lamps almost behind the piece so as to show the relief.

I will post photos when I get it all on the gun.

Excellent work Hilly.

Beautiful and you have come so far so fast.

I wish that Sheridan motorcycle seats were "in".

I'd love to do one.

David Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Hi David. Why can't you do a sheridan seat? You might find this a bit weird, but I keep having visions of a bike with Sheridan saddle and windshield bags, a little sheridan carving around the edges of the seat, and a western mural on the tank. Maybe something with mountains and elk, or maybe some horses.... A western theme, if you will.

I've owned a Harley (an old Sporty), and had to give it up due to tendonitis - just couldn't stand the hand buzz and the feeling like someone was whacking my funny bone all the time. I've also done some airbrushing on tanks, so the idea of a totally custom look made by ME is fantasy that would absolutely become a reality if ever I could afford a big twin...

I know this post is from several weeks ago, but I had to say that I really enjoy this piece. Great Work!

Hilly,

I'd love to do a Sheridan seat, but flowers on a seat just isn't something you can sell to a biker. So if I did one, it would end up being a shop sample (aka a seat that a customer never paid for).....I already have one of those.

But I love your Sheridan work...you're doing a great job on it.

Dave

Edited by David

Hilly,

I'd love to do a Sheridan seat, but flowers on a seat just isn't something you can sell to a biker. So if I did one, it would end up being a shop sample (aka a seat that a customer never paid for).....I already have one of those.

But I love your Sheridan work...you're doing a great job on it.

Dave

Hey Dave!

Who says you have to do flowers on the seat? I'd do something like finger carving around the sides (gusset?). Just some scrolls to add some texture, and maybe a bit of lacing. But I would do a nice Sheridan carve on the saddle bags and windshield bag. I'd only oil and antique them for a totally different biker saddlebag look. How often have you ever seen bag colors in other than black or maybe with a small dash of color? Seems every biker wants his or her bike to look different from all the rest. I bet if you used my ideas and made a complete set, you'd sell them. Heck, if I still had my bike, I'd buy them!

You do some really awesome work. I can't hold a candle to the stuff you do.

And thank you for the compliment.

Hilly

Edited by Hilly