CitizenKate

YACW (Yet Another Coffee Wrap)

When I saw Holly's (and later Will's) coffee wraps, I just had to make one, too. Nothing too special, just a stamped border, a little spritz of brown dye around the edges. I'm beta testing this one right now, and so far it seems to work pretty well, except I quickly discovered that a wax finish is not a great idea when the item is going to come into contact with heat. Hmmmm... DU-UH! :rofl: (Actually, I already knew that, but just wasn't thinking. Where was it you guys said we could buy that Clear-Lac stuff?)

coffee-wrap-16oz-02_600h.jpg

coffee-wrap-16oz-01_600h.jpg

Thanks for the cool idea Holly!

Kate

post-7-125797561206_thumb.jpg

post-7-12579762226_thumb.jpg

Very clean and I love the gradiation you got on the color!

Where was it you guys said we could buy that Clear-Lac stuff?)

Kate

Kate, Springfield sells it.

russ

Spiffy! Glad the idea's working out for you.

I used Aussie Wax on mine and it's just fine. I didn't seal the interior either.

When I saw Holly's (and later Will's) coffee wraps, I just had to make one, too. Nothing too special, just a stamped border, a little spritz of brown dye around the edges. I'm beta testing this one right now, and so far it seems to work pretty well, except I quickly discovered that a wax finish is not a great idea when the item is going to come into contact with heat. Hmmmm... DU-UH! :rofl: (Actually, I already knew that, but just wasn't thinking. Where was it you guys said we could buy that Clear-Lac stuff?)

coffee-wrap-16oz-02_600h.jpg

coffee-wrap-16oz-01_600h.jpg

Thanks for the cool idea Holly!

Kate

Kate,

As an alternative to clear-lac or saddle-lac (Tandy)

Go to a hardware store (I know Lowes has it) and purchase a small can of Deft wood finish... available gloss or flat.

Apply just like the leather product.

Dave Theobald

That looks awesome Kate! You did a real nice job on that one. The two tone on the dye really makes it pop. I'm finding out that these little things are starting to sell like hotcakes. I've only approached one coffee stand and I already have a second order for more from them.

As an alternative to clear-lac or saddle-lac (Tandy)

Go to a hardware store (I know Lowes has it) and purchase a small can of Deft wood finish... available gloss or flat.

Apply just like the leather product.

There are a few stores here that carry it. I just tried some on a piece of test scrap, then on a project, and I'm very pleased with the result. It leaves the leather looking perfectly natural, flexes without cracking, and is almost bulletproof! I even poured hot coffee on the test piece, and left it sitting there for about 5 minutes. Can't see any sign at all that anything was spilled on it. Well, it smells like coffee now - LOL. But that is a great finish if you really need to protect the leather from wetness.

Thanks for the tip, Dave.

Kate

Those are a great idea and pretty simple for a newb like me to make. What kinda prices are you asking for these? May try to move a few myself.

The ones I did so far were gifts for coworkers at the coffee shop, as well as one for me. If I personally were selling them though, I'd start them at 15.00, maybe for a name and stamped design? If it was something fancy (i.e. some knotwork or floral) then I'd go up from there.

$15 seems to be the norm and reasonable. I've already had someone call me a "thief" but when I asked her how much she expected to pay, she answered "$5.00 and no more !!!" :thumbsdown:

I think Kate's is worth even more, definitely.

People don't always know what went into making something - I had someone toss aside a molded rose pin when I told her it was 5.00 and she seemed to think it should've been a DOLLAR!!! Dang thing should've been at least 10.00!!!

I appreciate that, Holly. I am planning to offer mine (at least, initially) for closer to $28, and I still wonder if that's too low.

I still struggle with pricing my work. So many factors to consider. But regardless of where you set your prices, you will lose business on pricing. Some you will lose because the price is too high, but some you will lose because the price is too low. I would not lose any sleep over losing business to the low-ball crowd, would you?

Kate

28.00 is very reasonable...if it were a cuff with that amount of quality stamping, a bit of braid etc...it would be on par imo...just cuz its a coffee wrap...doesn't matter...cheapskates are just that...if i know i did a good job on a piece & someone thinks "less" of it...i don't want them to own the dang thing anyways tongue.gif

i do believe that those that are willing to pay more for a quality item...will inturn value it more...and rightly so ;0)

good job on it kate!!

Edited by sodapop

I made one similar to this a year ago. I had it with me when I went to a small coffee shop inside where I work. they bought a 1/2 dozen off me and pd $18.00 each. I did not lace mine, the leather wraps on its self and shaved it down and used rivets. They sold them at the main coffee shop up town for $28.00.

I like that

Thanks guys and gals. I kinda figured $15 was about right. It's funny though how some people don't blink a eye at paying $5 or more for a cup of stained water that will be consumed in a few minutes, but aren't willing to pay a lil more for a handcrafted piece of art that they can use for years.

There are a few stores here that carry it. I just tried some on a piece of test scrap, then on a project, and I'm very pleased with the result. It leaves the leather looking perfectly natural, flexes without cracking, and is almost bulletproof! I even poured hot coffee on the test piece, and left it sitting there for about 5 minutes. Can't see any sign at all that anything was spilled on it. Well, it smells like coffee now - LOL. But that is a great finish if you really need to protect the leather from wetness.

Thanks for the tip, Dave.

Kate

I wasn't able to find the Deft finish this evening (only checked the Sears hardware on my way home) but I saw they had Minwax Polycrylic and was curious if anyone might have tried that product on leather.

I'll get to my local Lowe's another evening on the way home and see if they carry the Deft product here. Some of my stuff sees lots of weather and sweat. Anything that can help waterproof is worth looking at. :thankyou:

I just picked up a can of Deft at Home Depot. Haven't tried it yet though.