Sign in to follow this  
brettra

How To.. Accurate Measurements

I'm looking for any advise on how to obtain an accurate measurement for two pieces that are of different sizes that will be joined. The best example I can think of is a toiletry bag that has two oblong circular patterns that will mate up. The sizing must be perfect to prevent any pinching and make the bag look complete.

I know I can wrap a fabric tape around the perimeter but, I am thinking this still leaves enough room for error on a finished piece. I 'm also certain there is an easy answer to this but my brain is not fining it :D.

Thanks for any advise,

Scott

Edited by brettra

I'm looking for any advise on how to obtain an accurate measurement for two pieces that are of different sizes that will be joined. The best example I can think of is a toiletry bag that has two oblong circular patterns that will mate up. The sizing must be perfect to prevent any pinching and make the bag look complete.

I know I can wrap a fabric tape around the perimeter but, I am thinking this still leaves enough room for error on a finished piece. I 'm also certain there is an easy answer to this but my brain is not fining it :D.

Thanks for any advise,

Scott

I don't follow what you are trying to do, . . . got a picture?

May God bless,

Dwight

Here is a website that shows a bag with two pieces that must mate up perfectly. http://bighousedaddy.com/a_multipurpose_bag.htm

For reference, I bought the pattern pack so this project itself is not an issue. Here is the bag I made:_DSC2280.JPG

I'm thinking of a bigger project so I want to ensure the two pieces I use come together properly in the same fashion. As you can see the dimensions of the two pieces are different but the perimeter measurements match up to bring the pieces together perfectly. This is what I am trying to replicate on a bigger project.

Again, thanks for taking the time to assist :rolleyes:

:sign23: Hello again community, I know someone can steer me in the right direction. If I'm unclear in my description please let me know. Right now I 'm thinking that a pattern making forum or sewing forum may be the best resource.

Does anyone here have some tricks/tips they find useful in making their custom bags containers etc.

Thanks again,

Scott

Tandy has some great books by Al Stohlman in their Leathercrafter Library. I downloaded the first one and found it very helpful in seeing how to make a project I had in mind.If you can go to Tandy you can look through all of the books to see if you find what you are looking for.

Good luck,Dano

One method of pattern making is to make a "cast" of an item.

Say you want to copy a coffee can. Wrap the coffee can in plastic wrap. Then take duct tape and tape the entire body of the can, overlapping the tape strips by at least 1cm. Make sure you cover then entire outside.

Make reference lines. Using a ruler, make vertical lines and a few perpendicular ones to that line. These lines will be helpful when you go to make your pattern. Run a horizontal line around the bottom of the can. (typically this line is about 1/2 cm up from the bottom.) Make short vertical reference lines. I should say that it helps to use one color marker for the main cut lines, and a different colored marker for the reference lines.

Cut the cast from the can. Cut the bottom off the cast. Open the cast up and lay it flat on pattern paper. Pattern weights are helpful here but you can use canned goods to hold this in place. Now, trace around the cast piece an transfer the reference lines. Remove the cast piece... and measure your seam allowance what ever size you feel you need and use a ruler to mark your cut lines and to extend your reference lines.

Now a coffee can would be fairly easy to cast. When you get into making patterns for a body part, you'll deal with having to make a 3D cast into a 2D pattern. This is why the reference lines are so important. You'll need to take several tiny tucks to make a 3D cast lay flat so you can trace all they while trying to not lose those reference lines. This is sometimes called easing.

I think by now you have a general idea of how to cast and pattern objects. Have fun practicing. May I suggest you try this on your feet?

BTW... use a decent quality duct tape to do this... the cheap stuff is a pain to work with.

Dwing8, thanks for the suggestion. I have many books and was looking to get ideas on unique patterns or self made. The book patterns are great for doing the exact projects.

Sylvia, thanks for the casting idea. I may be able to make use of it. I'm still looking to get ideas on non-cast creations. I thInk the cast method will bring me closer to self created items.

Thanks both for your comments and thanks to anyone else looking who may have an idea that will assist. :)

i know the problem that you are describing. in stohlman's book on making leather cases, he shows a toiletry bag for men. they are basically made from leather pieces that are "c" shaped but different sizes. yet, when sewn together, they mate up without puckers or pinches.

in a nutshell, i don't know how to figure out what the dimensions need to be to make these two parts come together. you might have to make templates out of paper and do a trial and error thing.

so, i know what your dilemna is, but i can't help (he says as he's pounding his head on the desk).

ramrod, thanks for bringing that description. That's exactly what I am looking to eliminate. :You_Rock_Emoticon: A perfect mating of two pieces of different size but same overall diameter. I may have found a solution in a free CAD program called Inkscape. I need to see if there is enough learning material now to figure it out.

I was thinking about paper cutouts as well but think the computer will offer a bit more flexibility in design changes (of course if I can get my brain around a program).

Anyone else willing to add something is also appreciated, anything that brings me closer to finding a solution is appreciated.

Scott