Sign in to follow this  
Leather Ink

I Need Your Knowledge!

My Tandy stamps are plated as most of you know and I am sick of them flaking. I realize it is only a matter of time before they have to be replaced. Please tell me of tool makers that I can purchase better quality stamps; ones that might last a lifetime. I have seen the Barry Kings and they look nice, but I can't find any others to compare and contrast this brand. I need your help, because I am semi-professional and am looking to become a pro at this craft, but I can't do so with inferior tools.

Thank you for your time,

Dave.

That all depends on what type of carving you are doing. As with any type of craft there are those that specialize in stamps for the different styles. If you are stamping in the Sheridan Style you will want to look at Barry King and Gomph Hackbarth by Lonnie Height. Of course there are other makers on a smaller scale for Sheridan stamps, Chuck Smith and Jeremiah Watt are the ones that come to my mind.If you are into figure carving then Bob Beard is who you will want to look up. Wayne Jueschke makes very good geometric stamps as well as Barry and Lonnie. Most of these tool makers do not have websites. In fact, only Barry King and Bob Beard do out of all of them. The best way is to call them and get them to send you a catalog. All of them are extremely nice and really knowledgable. As a side bar I personally like using Barry King tools. His tools are very reasonably priced and it helps that I only live about an hour and a half from his shop. He will also custom make stamps for you if you need it and it can be done. Well here are the contact numbers for the other ones that I posted.

Gomph Hackbarth by Lonnie Height

520-642-3891

Wayne Jueschke

775-738-4885

Chuck Smith

760-749-5755

Jermiah Watt

559-935-2172

http://www.ranch2arena.com

Bob Beard

http://www.robertbeardtools.com/

These tool makers are in no particular order. Hope this helps out. Have a great day.

Thank you very much! That gives me a lot to go on from here and I will start looking at all of them if I can. I mainly do tattoo themed carving and I am interested in figure carving, in case you have anymore suggestions. I really appreciate the quick response.

Dave.