Sign in to follow this  
Jarl

Quick question

So I have been extremely stumped lately as to what to make so that I can continue getting better. Between college and my mother's chemo I seem to have lost inspiration as far as what I can do to keep getting better (or trying :angel_not: ). If anyone has any suggestions I welcome them whole heartedly because leatherworking is a part of my life that I love.

Thanks,

Jesse

If your life is busy, keep your projects small . This way you see a finished product. Try bookmarks or a coaster set. You can practice carving on these small items and if it doesn't work out no great loss of leather.

cheers

thanks I hadnt thought of bookmarks :) that should be quick and easy. It's not so much busy as it is stressing. Growing up with a father as a cabinet maker I find that working with my hands be it wood or leather lets me unwind a bit.

Okay, Jarl, how long have you been sitting there with candy? M&Ms are my favorites. I like peanut and plain, all mixed up is fine. Exciting discoveries, you know.

Hugs to you and a gentle one for your mom. Smart of you to try and find something constructive to do while under stress. Some people fall off the wagon, others build them. What kind of classes do you take in school? Anything you can combine with your other leather and wood interest?

Johanna

Thanks muchly for the kind thoughts. I am currently entering my last semester of a BA in Animal Science so when the semester starts up again (for the last time :thumbsup: ) I will have a surgery class, pathology and diseases, a class in criminal justice to keep things interesting, and finally a class for my capstone (graduationish/semithesoral) project.

I completely understand, completely. When i first realized that it didn't matter what , i just needed to make something. I made a hand full of wristbands. I made the bigger type , oh about 2" to 2-1/2" thick with two straps. It was a small area for alot of tooling or a big area for little tooling. Letters, oh the letters and the small detail . Well it was small detail to me at the time. Just draw something and then put it on leather. I have about 15 pieces of leather cut at odd shape. They all average about the size of a piece of paper or half that. I've tooled diff things on each one just trying diff ways of tooling. Then later these are great for practicing dying techniques.

Jesse,

Freak is right on, forget about trying to make "some-THING" and just grab a small piece of Leather about 6 or 8 inches round or square, pick any animal or leaf or figure and start carving/tooling. In a few minutes you will be lost in your work. For some of us it is the need to be creative for others it can be very relaxing. For you it will keep your over-crowded mind at ease. Many of my favorite leather pieces are just scraps of leather with simple carvings. Hope Mom feels better. Take care.

Hugs to your mom.... Do your best to keep positive and to help her stay positive too....

Do you have a cell phone...? Make a case... Camera? make a case... drink soft drinks from a can? make a koozie... You are doing animal science.... carve your favorite living animal.... then your favorite extinct animal.... just look around your house... you can find all kinds of things... got a pet... make a collar for it.... got a girlfriend/wife/other make a collar for them... make yourself a belt....

I liked using Tandy kits to help me learn on.... I think the very first kit I did was a wallet then a check book cover... then i did a clutch purse for my wife....

You wear a watch? make a new watch band... it is limitless and full of possibilities....

Be well

My dad makes what he calls hopes there like a book mark with paying hands on the top and hope or asap stamped in then. He gives then to the friend he meets for fokes with cancer. We all need a little hope and the leather feels good to hold. Asap in allways say a pray. Dad has made over 400 and given them all a was. the big reason in when my mom hand cancer some one gave her a rock with hope on it. Mom asked him to start and he has never stoped given a little hope out.