LeatherneckMarine89

Oorah Fellow Leathernecks

Hello fellow leatherworkers,

My name is Joey, I'm a 21 year old Sgt in the United States Marine Corps. My job in the Corps is Data Network Technician, basically meaning I make the internet work :P I have been working with leather since I was 18 when my great-grandfather passed away and I inherited his collection of tools. I haven't had much time to practice the trade since I lived in the barracks until about a year ago when I got married. Sadly, 6 months after my wife moved down and we got our own place I got deployed to Afghanistan, where I currently reside. I found this site through google and decided that since I can't practice anymore I might as well educate myself a little and learn some new tips/tricks for my return in September. I believe that I will be a frequent visitor of this site even after I get home. I haven't had too many completed projects besides a braided belt and a wallet I made for Father's day. I apologize in advance but I am self taught for the most part and I tend to ask A LOT of questions. I will be reading all the how to guides and studying up on some techniques that people have developed of course.

May your next project go smoothly,

-Joey

Edited by LeatherneckMarine89

Hello fellow leatherworkers,

My name is Joey, I'm a 21 year old Sgt in the United States Marine Corps. My job in the Corps is Data Network Technician, basically meaning I make the internet work :P I have been working with leather since I was 18 when my great-grandfather passed away and I inherited his collection of tools. I haven't had much time to practice the trade since I lived in the barracks until about a year ago when I got married. Sadly, 6 months after my wife moved down and we got our own place I got deployed to Afghanistan, where I currently reside. I found this site through google and decided that since I can't practice anymore I might as well educate myself a little and learn some new tips/tricks for my return in September. I believe that I will be a frequent visitor of this site even after I get home. I haven't had too many completed projects besides a braided belt and a wallet I made for Father's day. I apologize in advance but I am self taught for the most part and I tend to ask A LOT of questions. I will be reading all the how to guides and studying up on some techniques that people have developed of course.

May your next project go smoothly,

-Joey

hello joey, just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service and when you get home and start doing leather work again and need some help just let me know and i will help all i can, i am trying to put together a beginner leather class that i will give at my local v.a. hospital for in patient rehab soliders. i am a 100% disable vet myself.you can view some of my work on my gallery, so stay safe and come home soon. john ivy/sgt/usmc semper fi!

hello joey, just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service and when you get home and start doing leather work again and need some help just let me know and i will help all i can, i am trying to put together a beginner leather class that i will give at my local v.a. hospital for in patient rehab soliders. i am a 100% disable vet myself.you can view some of my work on my gallery, so stay safe and come home soon. john ivy/sgt/usmc semper fi!

Looks like we're communicating through two different threads, haha. Well, I just might get the chance to come to those classes. I am trying to get PCS orders to Quantico, VA. Being a Data Marine and the fact that MCNOSC (Marine Corps Network Operations and Security Command) is located up there, it is like heaven for my MOS in terms of gaining experience. I will definitely inform you ahead of time if I'm fortunate enough to make it up there. Semper Fi!!

Hello Joey,

First and foremost Thank You for your service! Second, be sure to do all you can to stay safe and get back here as soon as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of great people on this sight that will be glad to give you their 2 cents on any question, and much you can learn from them.

Once again thanks for your service, Semper Fi

Bob

Thank you, sir. I've only been on this site for a few days and I can already tell there is a tight net group of experienced, willing members. I'm sure I will learn all I'd ever need to know here.

Semper Fi and welcome to the forum. I hope you get Quantico, its a nice place. I did Embassy school there and it is definately the cream of the crop as far as Marine Corps bases goes. Stay safe in the sand and get back stateside so you can work on leather.

Bill

Virginia

Semper Fi from a former SSGT 2531/0321. Thanks for your service. I was in from 1970-1978 and even in VN I still was able to do leather work. One just has to decide to do it and "Just Do It" When I was stationed at Onslow Beach Camp Lejune I did leather work right out of my wall locker. I think everyone in my barracks wore one of my belts and carried a wallet I made.

But anyway thanks for your service and be careful.

Semper Fi from a former SSGT 2531/0321. Thanks for your service. I was in from 1970-1978 and even in VN I still was able to do leather work. One just has to decide to do it and "Just Do It" When I was stationed at Onslow Beach Camp Lejune I did leather work right out of my wall locker. I think everyone in my barracks wore one of my belts and carried a wallet I made.

But anyway thanks for your service and be careful.

Recon huh? Pretty cool, I'm an 0651...not quite as cool but equally usefull when I get out in a year and a half. I would have liked to bring my things with me out here to continue to practice leatherworking but they are very, very strict when it comes to transporting blades out here. Even though two seconds after I got off the plane some guy comes up and hands me a 7in kabar lol Camp Lejeune is my current station back in the rear. I live right outside the gate in Jacksonville.

Recon huh? Pretty cool, I'm an 0651...not quite as cool but equally usefull when I get out in a year and a half. I would have liked to bring my things with me out here to continue to practice leatherworking but they are very, very strict when it comes to transporting blades out here. Even though two seconds after I got off the plane some guy comes up and hands me a 7in kabar lol Camp Lejeune is my current station back in the rear. I live right outside the gate in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville, I hear it is not anything like it was back in the 70s. Down town was nothing but strip joints and hookers. I also hear that Onslow Beach is not Recon country anymore. I am hoping to get down to Onslow County this summer to do a little fishing and reminiscing.

A KaBar is a good choice to have. I c arrayed on in VN and it served me well. I have made over 15 knives that are currently over in Iraq and Afghanistan. That was sorta my thing back about 6 months ago. Sending over care packages with all the essentials including a new knife.

Hey all jobs in the military are important. From the Remington Raiders to the cooks to the 0321s and every MOS in between. We could not have done our jobs without all those supporting us. Remember to keep your head down.

Johnny

Jacksonville, I hear it is not anything like it was back in the 70s. Down town was nothing but strip joints and hookers. I also hear that Onslow Beach is not Recon country anymore. I am hoping to get down to Onslow County this summer to do a little fishing and reminiscing.

A KaBar is a good choice to have. I c arrayed on in VN and it served me well. I have made over 15 knives that are currently over in Iraq and Afghanistan. That was sorta my thing back about 6 months ago. Sending over care packages with all the essentials including a new knife.

Hey all jobs in the military are important. From the Remington Raiders to the cooks to the 0321s and every MOS in between. We could not have done our jobs without all those supporting us. Remember to keep your head down.

Johnny

Well, its pretty much the same still. Strip clubs are pretty common, bars as well. They're on every corner, being as I don't drink it kinda gets old. That's awesome though, I'm sure the Marines greatly appreciate a new knife, we don't really get issued "quality" gear much. Its usually hand-me-downs from the Army.

Keeping my head just below the berm,

-Joey

Semper Fi , Marine!

Me no uniform guy, not even been born in this beautiful country.....still want to say thank you and will pull my hat for your comittment to this country, to the people and this mighty flag of ours...thank you!!

Nobody can even imagin what it is like to be away from home, family and the good ' ol USA....no banana split, no Chevy's....no Saturday nite grill-out and no girlfriend close by....we can't even get close to this thought....let allone the conditions you put yourself into......and of course>>>> most of all>>>> being away from all leather tools, stamps and the smell of neat-lac....that must be hard!!!!!!!!

So, I say it again, thank you and take care.....when u are back....we want to hear from u....and see all the wonderful things u are producing.......made out of leather, the most beautiful material on earth....

Greetings :trumpet:

Aloha

James

5831/5811, June98-June02. MCRD Parris Island to Okinawa to Camp Pendleton. Welcome and Semper Fi. Stay safe over there.