NealzKustomz

Strange Question

A customer of mine asked me about fake leather. Him and his wife ide Harley's, he like leather, she doesn't (she doesn't want to "hurt or kill animals"). She likes the work I do, and they want to know if there is a toolable fake leather... I can't seem to find anything online, and thought I would ask the question here...

So does anyone know of a fake leather, that can be carved and tooled the way real leather can?

THANKS!!

I am sure there are some materials that would take some kind of "stamping" less likely on the cutting/tooling.

That said: You may be able to find someone with a laser that could "engrave" on faux leather that would satisfy the lady.

ferg

A customer of mine asked me about fake leather. Him and his wife ide Harley's, he like leather, she doesn't (she doesn't want to "hurt or kill animals"). She likes the work I do, and they want to know if there is a toolable fake leather... I can't seem to find anything online, and thought I would ask the question here...

So does anyone know of a fake leather, that can be carved and tooled the way real leather can?

THANKS!!

There's some irony here- she likes the look of leather, but wants fake...I just bought a cheap purse, and the tag says it's made of polyurethane. I've worked with leather for 20 years, and it looks and feels like soft sheepskin leather. It doesn't smell llke it, and I doubt it will wear well, but no one but an "expert" could tell it's not made of leather. Harley clothes made out of similar materials might be a good choice for her, but if she wants tooled leather, she needs to consider wood or plastic alternatives.

I doubt it matters to her, but you can tell her that leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and no cows are slaughtered for their skins. If we didn't make leather, it would go in a landfill. I would also be happy to share some road rash pics I have where the leather protected the rider and the skin damage was far less than it could have been. I can also show her what it looks like to burn your leg on a tailpipe and what skin looks like after meeting the road wearing shorts. I collected a lot of these pics when I had the shop. (I have a really gross one of a guy wearing flip flops who lost most of his foot too) When the rain feels like needles on your skin, leather is a nice buffer.

Johanna

I collected a lot of these pics when I had the shop. (I have a really gross one of a guy wearing flip flops who lost most of his foot too)

Oh man! :jawdropper:

There's some irony here- she likes the look of leather, but wants fake...I just bought a cheap purse, and the tag says it's made of polyurethane. I've worked with leather for 20 years, and it looks and feels like soft sheepskin leather. It doesn't smell llke it, and I doubt it will wear well, but no one but an "expert" could tell it's not made of leather. Harley clothes made out of similar materials might be a good choice for her, but if she wants tooled leather, she needs to consider wood or plastic alternatives.

I doubt it matters to her, but you can tell her that leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and no cows are slaughtered for their skins. If we didn't make leather, it would go in a landfill. I would also be happy to share some road rash pics I have where the leather protected the rider and the skin damage was far less than it could have been. I can also show her what it looks like to burn your leg on a tailpipe and what skin looks like after meeting the road wearing shorts. I collected a lot of these pics when I had the shop. (I have a really gross one of a guy wearing flip flops who lost most of his foot too) When the rain feels like needles on your skin, leather is a nice buffer.

Johanna

just like Nalpalm sticks to people so will synthetics when burned.