Sign in to follow this  
ramrod

Ever Made A Lawyer's Briefcase?

i'm getting some things together to make an attorney's briefcase and i was wondering if anyone on the forum has made one?

if so, please let me know.....along with some pictures. this will push my abilities a bit, but i'm sure i can do it.

How did your bag turn out? I am about to start on one of my own and just looking for pointers or tips

Thanks

i just noticed your reply to this, LTL. i'm sorry i missed it.

i haven't started yet. i'm still working on getting the doctor-bag-type frame for the briefcase. i have found one on the ohio travel bag site, but two problems: it is 16" long and i want it to be 18".

second problem is that it's actually a doctor bag PURSE frame. i'm afraid it won't be heavy enough for a real working briefcase. consequently, my progress for getting things together has stopped. i'm looking for suggestions, but since no one has answered this thread, i'm not hopeful.

i might look into getting a frame made for me. but i have nothing to compare it against.i also looked on fleabay to see if i could buy a case and deconstruct it, but they are going for too much money - even the beat up ones.

i'm not sure what to do now.

post-18747-008215500 1332428844_thumb.jppost-18747-060373200 1332428814_thumb.jp

i haven't started yet. i'm still working on getting the doctor-bag-type frame for the briefcase. i have found one on the ohio travel bag site, but two problems: it is 16" long and i want it to be 18".

second problem is that it's actually a doctor bag PURSE frame. i'm afraid it won't be heavy enough for a real working briefcase. consequently, my progress for getting things together has stopped. i'm looking for suggestions, but since no one has answered this thread, i'm not hopeful.

i might look into getting a frame made for me. but i have nothing to compare it against.i also looked on fleabay to see if i could buy a case and deconstruct it, but they are going for too much money - even the beat up ones.

I could not find a frame for the size I was making so I bought a 4'x8' sheet of .060" (1/16") low density polyethylene (ldpe) for $35. It is great for thermoforming. I WARMED a piece of the size I needed for bag and molded around wood form. Practice on some small pieces - 175 deg F is good. Glue and sew between bag and liner - an awesome stiffener - makes 6oz bridle like 12oz skirting. My design may differ because I needed to account for rain as I use bag as mobile office complete w/laptop and strap it to my motorcycle. I also need to carry blueprints hence the 'roll bag' on top. Bag is 8"W x 20" L x 14"H. All the hardware is stainless or nickle/brass.

post-18747-095102400 1332429295_thumb.jp

That sure turned out nice!!! And it sure will hold a lot of "stuff!" Like my brother told me about a little travel duffel I had one time, "you can put more stuff in that that you want to carry!"

Bill

Looks great!. What did you line it with? What was your source for the LDPE?

You've inspired me to make something similar. I was thinking a 5oz exterior with the LDPE sandwiched with a thick fabric on the interior. Thoughts?

Edited by gicts

wow! flight case and missile launcher...intriguing combination.

great looking piece. I hope when i get some more experience and make my case it comes out looking that good.

Looks great!. What did you line it with? What was your source for the LDPE?

You've inspired me to make something similar. I was thinking a 5oz exterior with the LDPE sandwiched with a thick fabric on the interior. Thoughts?

LDPE is from McMaster Carr, a big supply house. It's only 5mi from me so I can pick up - not sure about shipping $. Lining is 1.5oz pig suede.

I call bag a 'Carry All' because I made an 'office liner' to fit inside. When I'm done with work I lift out office = empty bag. Drop in 'range liner' - holds 6 handguns, magazines, ammo, glasses, earmuffs, etc. Done at range, pull range liner and drop in insulated waterproof 'cooler liner' and go party. Monday morning drop in office liner.

Liners add weight but I'm mot carrying bag for any distance. When I get old I'll put wheels on it. Make sure your d-rings and hangers are STRONG. If you don't have one get a copy of 'The Art of Making Leather Cases' Vol 2. FULL of ideas how to not waste time and leather. I've also shamelessly stolen ideas from many excellent bag makers on this forum - thanks to all. I admit bag is larger than most require - damn near a suitcase - but if I can't carry my office on my bike, boss won't let me ride to work!!

well, i'm going to resurrect this thread. i had a bit of trouble with my computer, so i couldn't reply.

i gotta say, wnkleather, that bag is beautiful. it looks very functional, too

i've solved my briefcase frame problem (i made one and it looks like it came out of a factory)....necessity is the mother of invention, after all. now onto stiffeners. that LDPE sounds like something i might look into.

Hi Woodcraft Supply has a bag frame made for the journeyman carpenters tool bag very heavy duty . Saw one in my travels some time back maybe they still make them . Another place to look is Klien Tools the make line man stuff and its all heavy duty . One more place is Grangier tools they have a huge industrial Catalogue. Next place is in Santa Fe New Mexico there is always a blacksmith there making custom things at the mountain man event . The dates for this can be had by taping into the Mountain man events and calendar on line . Just look on line for a old style blacksmith and you will get what you want . Word to the wise make more than one if you can afford it . Bluesman1951