Sign in to follow this  
buffalobill plus Ed D

Adler 5-8

This is an early version of the 105-8 cylinder machine. I think it was a forward only machine with no reverse.

shoepatcher

has anyone ever used or seen this machine for sale? sounds like a great machine!

Hi Buffalobill,

I have an Adler class 5-27; it is the same machine as the 5-8. The 5-8 has bottom feed and a jump foot, forward and reverse. The class 5 is the forerunner of the class 105. I also have a 105-25 but I prefer to use my old class 5. My 5-27 sews 14 mm tick heavy leather; the jump foot works great on leather. The machine was made for sewing medium and heavy leather, having a bottom feed it will sometimes set marks on the leather. However, not as much as a bottom feed only machine will. The jump-foot takes away some of the pressure from the feed dog, when the foot jumps with the feed. Adjusted the right way, markings on the leathers backside is not a big issue. The stitch pattern is even and fine.

This is the yesterday’s saddler machine, and cannot compare to the modern triple feed 441 or Adler 205-370 saddlers machine. Nevertheless, the build quality and materials is superb, I will not part with my machine. I will sell my newer Adler 105 and 204, but my class 5 stays. Made before the WW2 and still in new condition. The class 5 uses the same shuttle/bobbin as the class 105 first came with, some of the later 105 machines have changed their to the new big 204/205 shuttle. Using the new industry standard bobbin, same as the classes 204, 205, 441 and clones.

The Adler class 5 cylinder bed, class 4 flat bed and Singer class 45 flat/cylinder bed (Similar machine from Singer) served Leather workers faithfully for over a half century. The Adler 205, Juki 441 and clones is now the new standard in the saddler business. Made in China, only time will tell if they last as long as the old class 5 did.

Trox

has anyone ever used or seen this machine for sale? sounds like a great machine!

post-10237-041015300 1331667227_thumb.jp

post-10237-098897700 1331667261_thumb.jp

post-10237-064432800 1331667888_thumb.jp

Hi there

I have recently bought an Adler 5-27 heavy tread sewing machine (like the pics). It is a really nice sewing machine with lots of options.

I'm currently testing it, but I was wondering if anyone has a manual of this machine or any idea where I can find a manual for the machine ?

Does anyone know if you can sew with waxed tread on this sewing machine ?

What do these numbers actual mean?

Adler 5-27 what means 5 what means 27

I also have a durrkop CL 18-1 repairing sewing machine, what does mean 18 and 1 ?

Thanks in advance.

Wim

Hi Buffalobill,

I have an Adler class 5-27; it is the same machine as the 5-8. The 5-8 has bottom feed and a jump foot, forward and reverse. The class 5 is the forerunner of the class 105. I also have a 105-25 but I prefer to use my old class 5. My 5-27 sews 14 mm tick heavy leather; the jump foot works great on leather. The machine was made for sewing medium and heavy leather, having a bottom feed it will sometimes set marks on the leather. However, not as much as a bottom feed only machine will. The jump-foot takes away some of the pressure from the feed dog, when the foot jumps with the feed. Adjusted the right way, markings on the leathers backside is not a big issue. The stitch pattern is even and fine.

This is the yesterday's saddler machine, and cannot compare to the modern triple feed 441 or Adler 205-370 saddlers machine. Nevertheless, the build quality and materials is superb, I will not part with my machine. I will sell my newer Adler 105 and 204, but my class 5 stays. Made before the WW2 and still in new condition. The class 5 uses the same shuttle/bobbin as the class 105 first came with, some of the later 105 machines have changed their to the new big 204/205 shuttle. Using the new industry standard bobbin, same as the classes 204, 205, 441 and clones.

The Adler class 5 cylinder bed, class 4 flat bed and Singer class 45 flat/cylinder bed (Similar machine from Singer) served Leather workers faithfully for over a half century. The Adler 205, Juki 441 and clones is now the new standard in the saddler business. Made in China, only time will tell if they last as long as the old class 5 did.

Trox

Hi Wim,

I have a manual in German, contains 25 sides on PDF. Each side is one PDF file about 800 kb to 1 Mb, together about 25 Mb. It is the user manual on the Adler class 4 and 5. About the numbers; all industrial sewing machines is divided in to classes and subclasses. 5-27= Class 5 - subclass 27. The Adler class 5 is a cylinder bed, the class 4 is the same machine in flat bed. Subclasses are different construction of the same class, like different feed and for different use. The same for the Dürkopp “CL” stands for Class, “18” is the class number and “1” is the subclass number.

If your machine has a wax pot like mine, you can use wax or oil in it. We mostly use silicone or white sewing machine oil to cool down the needle and soften hard leather.

If you mean pre waxed thread, I have never tried that and I do not think it will work very well. You will have trouble with the machine thread tension among other. In the old time, they used a wax apparatus with a heater flame to melt the wax first; I have seen them in old part lists. That kept the wax liquid while sewing, after use they had to clean the machine or it was hard as a candle light. Maybe they just light it up and melted it the next day, I do not know. Why do you want to use wax?

I also have a part list on paperback; it contains all the subclasses of the class 5. These documents are very hard to get for those old classes, much was destroyed during WW2. The factory that made your Dürkopp was also bombed, parts for that machine is very hard to get. You can find parts and documents for some of the newer obsolete classes here;

http://sew24.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html.

The use of the class 5 sewing machine is very similar to the newer class 105 and Singer 45 K. The only thing that is different (can be found on other machines to) it the adjustment of the jump foot. The important document to have is a part list. I will not scan all my part list for you, but I will give you a couple of sides with shuttle parts (the part number are longer now, if you need the shuttle number PM me). That is the only part that is available and has to be changed from time to time. I can send you the user manual on mail, send me a PM with your email (don’t post it here; you will be spammed if you do).

I hope this helps.

Trox

Hi there

I have recently bought an Adler 5-27 heavy tread sewing machine (like the pics). It is a really nice sewing machine with lots of options.

I'm currently testing it, but I was wondering if anyone has a manual of this machine or any idea where I can find a manual for the machine ?

Does anyone know if you can sew with waxed tread on this sewing machine ?

What do these numbers actual mean?

Adler 5-27 what means 5 what means 27

I also have a durrkop CL 18-1 repairing sewing machine, what does mean 18 and 1 ?

Thanks in advance.

Wim

Trox, I agree with you 95%.

The 5% is that I would say over 100 years rather than 50!

Trox,

I just found out this past Thursday some interesting news from Michael Simards in Canada. They are the Adler rep for all of Canada. I talked to Michael personally. Seems he has genuine parts for Adler machines going back over 40 years. He has some parts for the 5 class Adlers as well as other old Adlers although we did not get into specifics. . Thought the members would like to know this fact. I do not have the phone number in front of me but you can find it on line. They have a website. If you know the part number, ask for Nora or Michael. They may or may not have it but is worht a try and Michael told some of these parts are no longer manufactured.

glenn miller

quote name='Trox' timestamp='1331667896' post='239191']

Hi Buffalobill,

This is the yesterday's saddler machine, and cannot compare to the modern triple feed 441 or Adler 205-370 saddlers machine. Nevertheless, the build quality and materials is superb, I will not part with my machine. I will sell my newer Adler 105 and 204, but my class 5 stays. Made before the WW2 and still in new condition. The class 5 uses the same shuttle/bobbin as the class 105 first came with, some of the later 105 machines have changed their to the new big 204/205 shuttle. Using the new industry standard bobbin, same as the classes 204, 205, 441 and clones.

Trox

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the tip, I found their web site. My class 5 is a pre WW2 machine in daily use. I have not been able to break anything on it yet, it still looks like new. I have changed the shuttle because I was not able to get a new tension screw for it. That screw has a special thread, and is an obsolete part. I have a 441-clone incoming, if it works out as good as expected, I will part with some of my machines (Adler's 105-25, 204-64 and 30-15. Singer 236W-100). My 5-27 is like new and I will not get what is worth, so I think I will keep it. The others are machines I do not need anymore. I am thinking about exporting them. It is a very limiting marked for sewing machines here in Norway. (Every machine serviced and set up for leather before sale)

It look like Simard MSM still have some new/old Dürkopp Adler's models for sale, all of his Adler models except two is out of production. If somebody looking for a good made in Germany Adler, this must be the place to try out.

If I (or somebody else) need some old parts, I will give them a call.

Thanks for the tip.

Trox

[