Chief31794

Another Dobro Strap (Lined) And A Spring Clip Money Clip

Money clip has 4 interior card slots, a spring clip style money clip, and 2 pockets on the exterior, it is made from Tan Caiman backed by Hermann Oak leather. The Dobro strap is 2 layers of 4 oz Herman Oak on the main strap and 7 oz Hermann Oak for the front and back straps, this strap is standard and is adjustable from ~ 64" to 74" long from loop to pin.

Chief

post-6362-0-12243200-1433506431_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-20969200-1433506440_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-98225800-1433506441_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-48673400-1433506443_thumb.jp

Nice work there Chief. Both look great.

beautiful work as always Chief

Nice work there Chief. Both look great.

Thanks Rohn,

beautiful work as always Chief

Thanks,

Chief

Sweet!

Sweet!

Thank you,

Chief

Money clip has 4 interior card slots, a spring clip style money clip, and 2 pockets on the exterior, it is made from Tan Caiman backed by Hermann Oak leather. The Dobro strap is 2 layers of 4 oz Herman Oak on the main strap and 7 oz Hermann Oak for the front and back straps, this strap is standard and is adjustable from ~ 64" to 74" long from loop to pin.

Chief

beautiful work Chief!!! a question....on the main strap, how do you keep the lining leather on the inside from wrinkling? may i ask what your workflow for lining the strap is like? thank you!!

beautiful work Chief!!! a question....on the main strap, how do you keep the lining leather on the inside from wrinkling? may i ask what your workflow for lining the strap is like? thank you!!

Kid,

The inside strap is going to wrinkle a little, I minimize it by conditioning the leather well and only gently rolling the leather, but it will wrinkle some. You can eliminate most of it by curving the main strap before lining, but I don't as it doesn't present a problem. As to work flow, I'm not sure what you mean but if your talking about order of operations it goes something like this:

Cut Main Strap to a template and mark the adjustment holes,

Cut lining strap 3/8 - 1/2" wider than the main strap and 2" longer

Cut Back strap to template and mark slot and holes for end pin and/or Strap Lock assembly, for made to order the customer specifies 1 or the other or both, this strap is punched for both.

Cut 3 pieces for the front strap assembly and measure a belt loop for length and cut it.

Put painter's tape on the back of all pieces.

Case main strap, then emboss my maker's mark, then do any tooling, carving, etc.

Groove the main strap and the buckle strap assembly for sewing.

edge the top side of all pieces except the lining strap.

Dye all pieces, let dry at least overnight.

Remove tape and edge the back of all pieces except the main strap and lining strap (since they'll be glued together)

Condition all pieces with Feibings Aussie conditioner, front only on the main and lining straps, all other pieces both sides. Put it on liberally then heat with a heat gun until it liquifies and then buff all pieces really well with sheep's wool.

Apply 2 coats of Clear Lac with at least 4 hours drying in between coats.

Punch slots and holes in the front strap assembly and the back strap assembly and set them aside

Mark holes in buckle strap and main strap and hand sew the buckle assembly to the main strap.

apply feibings leather cement to the backs of the main strap and lining strap and let it dry till tacky then carefull place the main strap on the lining strap flesh side to flesh side, apply pressure ( I two boards (2X4) that cover the back of the strap slides under the front end of the buckle strap then place concrete blocks on them for pressure and let them dry for 1-2 hours.

Trim lining off, edge top and bottom and then re-dye the edges.

Machine sew the entire strap following the groove on the main strap.

burnish all edges

punch slots and holes in the main strap

hand sew the buckle loop

assemble the buckle and keeper

Assemble the quick release to the front strap pieces

Assemble the back strap

Final Buff

Pack for shipping.

Got 2-3 days ~ 24-30 hours in the strap.

Hope that's what you were wanting or I just wasted a lot of computer time.

Chief

Kid,

The inside strap is going to wrinkle a little, I minimize it by conditioning the leather well and only gently rolling the leather, but it will wrinkle some. You can eliminate most of it by curving the main strap before lining, but I don't as it doesn't present a problem. As to work flow, I'm not sure what you mean but if your talking about order of operations it goes something like this:

Cut Main Strap to a template and mark the adjustment holes,

Cut lining strap 3/8 - 1/2" wider than the main strap and 2" longer

Cut Back strap to template and mark slot and holes for end pin and/or Strap Lock assembly, for made to order the customer specifies 1 or the other or both, this strap is punched for both.

Cut 3 pieces for the front strap assembly and measure a belt loop for length and cut it.

Put painter's tape on the back of all pieces.

Case main strap, then emboss my maker's mark, then do any tooling, carving, etc.

Groove the main strap and the buckle strap assembly for sewing.

edge the top side of all pieces except the lining strap.

Dye all pieces, let dry at least overnight.

Remove tape and edge the back of all pieces except the main strap and lining strap (since they'll be glued together)

Condition all pieces with Feibings Aussie conditioner, front only on the main and lining straps, all other pieces both sides. Put it on liberally then heat with a heat gun until it liquifies and then buff all pieces really well with sheep's wool.

Apply 2 coats of Clear Lac with at least 4 hours drying in between coats.

Punch slots and holes in the front strap assembly and the back strap assembly and set them aside

Mark holes in buckle strap and main strap and hand sew the buckle assembly to the main strap.

apply feibings leather cement to the backs of the main strap and lining strap and let it dry till tacky then carefull place the main strap on the lining strap flesh side to flesh side, apply pressure ( I two boards (2X4) that cover the back of the strap slides under the front end of the buckle strap then place concrete blocks on them for pressure and let them dry for 1-2 hours.

Trim lining off, edge top and bottom and then re-dye the edges.

Machine sew the entire strap following the groove on the main strap.

burnish all edges

punch slots and holes in the main strap

hand sew the buckle loop

assemble the buckle and keeper

Assemble the quick release to the front strap pieces

Assemble the back strap

Final Buff

Pack for shipping.

Got 2-3 days ~ 24-30 hours in the strap.

Hope that's what you were wanting or I just wasted a lot of computer time.

Chief

WOW Chief!! Thank you for taking the time to share this!!! I really appreciate it! :D Keep posting your work, it's beautiful :)

Beautiful is a complete word for your craftsmanship, As always Chief Great looking projects. --- Wild Bill46

Beautiful is a complete word for your craftsmanship, As always Chief Great looking projects. --- Wild Bill46

Thanks Wild Bill,

Chief