Billy Hell

Ranger Belt Guitar Strap

So I had all the makings to create myself a nice gun belt. I have a few Colt Single Actions and have lusted over some nicely tooled rigs but would never spend the money. The fact I can make my own now is kind of mind blowing. I was ready to make my belt and a good friend of ours, singer/song writer Kevin Welch invited us to his birthday party. Seven days before the shin dig I decided to use my gun belt fixings to make him a guitar strap. I was going to keep it simple due to the time factor but making things as hard as possible seems to be my way.

I basically made a gun belt into a guitar strap. I used the Cody buckle and added his initials. I also carved a boot on the front. That was based on a painting done by John Hadley for an album Kevin did. I think it turned out great! It can go from 45 inches long to around 54 inches, which should be enough for anyone.

DSC_0964.jpg

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0965.jpg

DSC 0968

DSC 0967

DSC 0971

DSC 0974

DSC 0973

DSC 0976

DSC 0977

Edited by Billy Hell

I like your style there Billy Hell. Nice work.

Eddie

Thank you sir. The Bday is this coming Sunday so it's still a secret. Another interesting note is the half that strap is Herman Oak leather and the other is 9 ounce leather from Tandy. I got a whole whole shoulder (18.4 sqr feet) from Tandy for $95. I could feel a difference between the two when cutting. The Herman Oak tooling looks cleaner/crisper to me but in real life when I ask folks they can't tell the difference. Just an interesting leather tooler side note.

Edited by Billy Hell

Son-of-a-gun Billy you've nailed it. That is way nice!!!!!

I've been following your post lately and your carving all the sudden looks much more crisp / clean...your curved lines are much smoother. Your determination is paying off...Congratulations!!!!!!

Please let us know what your friend thinks of this.

You're gonna get your door beat down other people wanting you to make them something.

Thanks for sharing this with us!!!!!

This is some great tooling! You have a great attention for detail. This looks amazing!

Thanks for the great words y'all! I started out tooling those little rounders. Tooling small is tricky! Tooling larger items give you more room to do it right! Loving it. That strap was a few days of figuring out how to build it, how long to make it, what floral pattern to design and that damn boot. I did the boot 7 or 8 times to get it right. Each large panel of tooling took around 3 hours. I shot a video of one that I plan on speeding up just to show the whole process. I don't think folks who have never seen anyone tool have any idea of how we do it. Just got back from Tandy with less $$ and more cool leather stuff. The Alzheimer Association requested I tool something for their silent auction so that's next!

Loving it!

Edited by Billy Hell

That is a nice strap.

Billy,

That's really nice. I have been meaning to make a strap for me, but haven't got to it. Now a neighbor wants a custom guitar strap, so I am doing some research. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Thank you sir!

I have seen some of your previous work , but now your getting to be quite a tooler, in my opinion !

Your work is not as choppy, and seems smoother and more fluid.

I like it very much. Congratulations, keep on keeping on ! ------------ Wild Bill46

Thanks for the input. I'm trying my best!

very nice! I especially like the design decision to break the design out of the background stamping at the end of the strap.

gallery_37910_2788_708318.jpg

One of my favorite parts! That was such a nice strap it was hard to give as a present!!

Beautifull work.

Thanks Buttons!