Sign in to follow this  
Scary Leatherworks

Need HELP from the seat Guru's

I'm going to try my first seat using my wife's Honda Aero seat. I'm just not sure which technique would work the best, so I thought I'd get suggestions. I really have only seen pic's of David's style of construction (top and bottom pieces). Since this seat as such a curve from front to back what keeps the leather down on the seat and not just stretched tight across like a trampoline. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Thought I'd throw in the passenger pillion to

Scott

This seat will be better done in Beezachoppa's style of seat building. Check his posts for pictures.

Dave

Erie__mike__heather___sue___renfaire_2008__motorcycle_seat_110__Medium_.jpg

This is a pic of whinewine's seat. would this be the best way to do my seat. Lace the top and sides together and then fit it to the seat. I'm just worried about the leather scrunching up on the corners.

or should I try to use the same pattern as the seat already has with the side panels coming around but not all the way to the front.

also i'm having a hard time getting a good pattern of the top construction paper is to stiff and doesn't fold around all the bends.

Erie__mike__heather___sue___renfaire_2008__motorcycle_seat_110__Medium_.jpg

This is a pic of whinewine's seat. would this be the best way to do my seat. Lace the top and sides together and then fit it to the seat. I'm just worried about the leather scrunching up on the corners.

or should I try to use the same pattern as the seat already has with the side panels coming around but not all the way to the front.

also i'm having a hard time getting a good pattern of the top construction paper is to stiff and doesn't fold around all the bends.

That is the method that I was talking about....the leather doesn't scrunch up if it is wet and worked carefully into position. I'm sure beeze can give you a lesson in the right pattern making technique.

Although I can't figure for the life of me why you would want to tear up a perfectly good seat. Usually guys wait until the seat is worn out....then recover it.

While your wife is wearing it out, go to a junk yard and buy a couple beat up old seats and practice, practice, practice.

Dave

Edited by David

THis seat is very close if not the same as my honda VTX 1300 seat I have. I am in the process of re-doing mine after much consideration I am going to mix the two styles (Daves and Beeza's) Let me explain...

I am going to lace the seat front to the piece that covers the back top of the seat, where the stitching is now. I will tool the top seat and I think I am going to basket weave thr back top piece.

Some things to consider...

Don't put your lace underneath you as a rider this is just painful after a while and cuts off circulation. Pay special attention to the number of holes you have on your laced sides, if they don't match your seat wil not come out right.

Use beeza's method for securing the seat to the pan with pop rivets.

hope this helps

Dunc

David, thanks for the replies and help. 1. I don't have any junk yards handy to buy cheap seats, nor would I want to waste the leather on a seat that couldn't be used. 2. It's a Honda seat so I don't expect it to wear out anytime soon especially since we don't get a chance to ride as much as we'd like.

Slamdunc, post some pic's of your seat. I also have a vtx 1300C. what model is yours. I'll be doing my seat next for more practice. How did you get an accurate pattern for your seat top

I have an R but I am doing a C seat for a buddy now. You can see some of the mistakes I amde here on mine it looks ok but not good enough in my opinion. As far as the patter that was tuff in the end I went to ebay, bought a couple stock seats cheap (between 30 and 50 bucks) and cut the stitching and made my pattern on light card.

I need to make another as I am currently re-doing my first attempt.

hope this helps man

Dunc

David, thanks for the replies and help. 1. I don't have any junk yards handy to buy cheap seats, nor would I want to waste the leather on a seat that couldn't be used. 2. It's a Honda seat so I don't expect it to wear out anytime soon especially since we don't get a chance to ride as much as we'd like.

Slamdunc, post some pic's of your seat. I also have a vtx 1300C. what model is yours. I'll be doing my seat next for more practice. How did you get an accurate pattern for your seat top

DSCN0831.JPG

DSCN0832.JPG

DSCN0833.JPG

post-3488-1211905704_thumb.jpg

post-3488-1211905721_thumb.jpg

post-3488-1211905734_thumb.jpg

slamdunc,

looks ok to me. when you put the leather to the seat did you wet the whole thing? Just wondering if it can ruin the carving by stretching it while wet.

Also if you are not using the pleather covers you removed from the stock C seat I would be interested in them for my own pattern for my stock C seat.

Thanks for the assistance

Scott

Another option would be to make the top bigger so it bends over the edge. I attached a picture of one I'm working on. It hasn't been rivetted on yet, so it's loose, and has a skirt (just because the customer wanted that). But mainly just to show you what I meant about the bigger top.

donnie__s_seat.JPG

post-6120-1211937046_thumb.jpg