Kingswarrior

Any Tanners Here?

Didn't know where else to post this, but I saw someone advertising rattlesnake skins (on ebay) that were "acid pickled" and then tanned. If anyone is familiar with this, I was wondering if these skins are suitable for inlays and such. Thanks for the help!

I used oxalic acid to tan a skunk, and a couple of squirrel hides. There are lots of different acids used in tanning, you may need to find out which method was used. Off hand I would say they would be alright for inlays, etc..

ok, will definitely check. Thanks for the info! Is there any method of tanning, acid or otherwise, that would be deemed unsuitable for inlaying, or that might cause the skin to not last as long?

I can't say anything about lasting as all tanning is done to preserve leather.

You would probably not want some acid tans against your sweating skin as they will burn the skin and cause a rash.

And be sure that what you're getting is actually tanned, and not just "preserved". I can "preserve" a skin with sun, salt, and a jug of antifreeze (ethylene glycol), but it wouldn't be good for much. See if you can get the specifics of what the seller is doing.

Thanks everyone...there's just no substitute for experience! I appreciate your time and help.