Sign in to follow this  
Southern Guy

Help Wife Is Going To Kill Me

Hi there, I was hoping some of you could help me out with ideas on what to do with scratches in my new leather sofa! I finally convinced my wife to go with a leather sofa over a cloth. We got what we thought was a high quality leather couch or so the salesman said so. My dog seemed to have scratched the seat cushions during the night. I am looking in the extended protection policy and of course they deny everything that you could possibly need it for. Typical worthless insurance policy. Can Anyone share with me some possible solutions?

Basically it is a darker brown color of leather and the scratches a lighter tan. Is it possible to pick up some sort of dye or stain and some how blend it in and make it go away? Or could a person buff it out some how? Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.

War Eagle

Burton

Hi there, I was hoping some of you could help me out with ideas on what to do with scratches in my new leather sofa! I finally convinced my wife to go with a leather sofa over a cloth. We got what we thought was a high quality leather couch or so the salesman said so. My dog seemed to have scratched the seat cushions during the night. I am looking in the extended protection policy and of course they deny everything that you could possibly need it for. Typical worthless insurance policy. Can Anyone share with me some possible solutions?

Basically it is a darker brown color of leather and the scratches a lighter tan. Is it possible to pick up some sort of dye or stain and some how blend it in and make it go away? Or could a person buff it out some how? Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.

War Eagle

:rip_1:

Burton

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I was hoping for a real answer because we have a couple scratches in our dark brown couch too. But Luke, you made me laugh!!

I used some Black Rock leather conditioner on a guys leather car seats and helped with some of the scratches. Might of just been lucky though. The other thing i would try is antiqueing paste for leather if you try that just try a real small spot to see if it works and i put on with my fingers.. I have used that on a scratch on a saddle before and it helped. It may hide it or help hide the scratches but i don't think you will ever get rid of them. Good luck to you and the dog.

Step by step instructions.

1 shoot dog.

2 skin dog.

3 tan hide.

4 fix couch.

5 LAUGH AS HARD AS I AM as I write this.

You did ask for suggestions, you didn't say they had to make sense.

This might work.

1. Unzip the seat cushion where they inserted the foam and see if there is any extra leather at the seam and cut a small piece off. May find some under neath inside the frame as well.

2. Scratch it with a tool.

3. Use Fiebing's Dark Brown Oil dye and thinner and make several solutions of dye (25% dye, 50% dye, 75% dye) and test it on the leather scrape you made.

4. Using the one that works on the test piece, use it on the cushion.

5. Finish with a good wax and buff the surface to match.

6. Buy a heavy wool blanket to throw over the sofa at night so the dog scratches on the wool, not the leather.

Alternative solution, flip the cushion over and use the other side. If it is a high quality sofa, the cushions should be the same on either side.

BillB

So what did you end up doing about the scratches and the dog?

Thanks for the humorous responses and I think I will try BillB example because shooting the dog is out of the question for now. I wish I could flip the cushion as that would be the easiest way out. I will see what I can come up with and update everyone. Thanks for all that replied!