Hello all,

Recently made this purse for my mother who started collecting kingsnakes of all things. A little too late for a "mid" life crisis.....who knows. She wanted something that would get noticed at snake and reptile shows. What do you think?

Semper Fi!!

Tom

post-29834-090078300 1334296570_thumb.jp

Neat design

Hi Tom:

I remember when I was a kid I was running up this dirt road and I saw and jumped over a colored king snake that was stretched almost completely across the road! I still remember that vividly. lol Pretty snake though, it was banded like a California king but every other black band was orange instead.

Anyway... I think your mom will be proud of this purse. I like the background material and I think you've done a great job on the snake. That must have been difficult to get that head and "face" just right with all those plates and scales.

Bravo!

Sylvia,

Hello and thank you for the kind words!!! I worry about having to go through that same ordeal you did, jumping over snakes, everytime I go in my folks house!!! The room that used to belong to us kids is now cages!!!! LOL!!! What in the world!!! Anyways, yeah that snake was pretty fun to carve. Just keep an eye on the picture and try to make shadows fall where they should. sometimes a little challenge is good for us though you know? Its nice having a chance to say hello to ya, I've been reading your posts around here. Your always out there trying to help someone. Thanks for being here.

Take care,

Tom

Looks good.

I think there might not be enough contrast to tell what exactly the pattern is from more than a few feet away. But within a few feet, yeah, I think folks are going to want one too.

I made a purse for my sister some years ago, and was constantly getting requests from other girls & women for me to make them a purse similar to it.

Hello Dan,

In that picture I was not trying to catch too much shine off the snake. I know what you mean. She wanted a dark rich leather snake like purse, she doesn't know about the carving. Working with the colors that I had to work with, I clear lac'ed the hell out of the snake and left a couple of the extra coats off of the bag for a satin finish. In the light the damn snake will almost blind ya!!!! I'll post a bright photo so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for looking and the compliments!!!

Take care,

Tom

post-29834-085439700 1334365915_thumb.jp

Hello all,

Recently made this purse for my mother who started collecting kingsnakes of all things. A little too late for a "mid" life crisis.....who knows. She wanted something that would get noticed at snake and reptile shows. What do you think?

Semper Fi!!

Tom

Well, first off I have to say I really don't like snakes. In fact, they give me the creeps. My son in law has had some for years and still doesn't understand my aversion. That said, you did a really good job with the impression of the snake coming out towards the viewer. It is really well done and I think your mom will love it. Me, not so much but I appreciate the skill that went into the carving. Bet you will have some commissions from your mom's snaky friends. lol

Hi Rosi,

Thank you very much for the compliments. I really appreciate that!! I'm a weird one in a way. I have been working on leather as my "secret" little hobby for quite some time now. I would just make things for myself and those I was close to. Now as I venture out to show things for other people to see, I'm so dang shy I get embarrassed by all of you folks compliments. I appreciate everyones kind words. I;m glad you like the carving.

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by TABcustomleather

Hello Dan,

In that picture I was not trying to catch too much shine off the snake. I know what you mean. She wanted a dark rich leather snake like purse, she doesn't know about the carving. Working with the colors that I had to work with, I clear lac'ed the hell out of the snake and left a couple of the extra coats off of the bag for a satin finish. In the light the damn snake will almost blind ya!!!! I'll post a bright photo so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for looking and the compliments!!!

Take care,

Tom

You weren't wrong, that snake is bright!

Darn good job there.

a little challenge is good for us though you know? Its nice having a chance to say hello to ya, I've been reading your posts around here. Your always out there trying to help someone. Thanks for being here.

Wow! Thanks for the nice compliment yourself. I didn't think anyone noticed my efforts to help. It's nice to be appreciated. :)

Sylvia,

Your more than welcome. Its nice for the newer members of our beloved craft to have such a nice forum to wick info from. And it would seem that the backbone to such a communal gathering would be individuals such as yourself. I wish I would have found this place years ago when I had all of these questions that needed filled. It would have saved many a pieces of hide over the years!!

Tom