Sign in to follow this  
dbusarow

Weighted Reins

only someone doing saddles and tack is likely to know.

A friend brought over some reins she would like duplicated. They look like normal split reins, but they are weighted on the bit end.

The last 18" to 2' on the bit end are lined and the weighting material is under the lining. I'd guess that it is lead wire, roughly 1/8" diameter but it seems too flexible. The reins are no stiffer in tha weighted section than I'd expect plain leather to be.

The reins she brought over are in good condition, I don't want to take them apart to learn what was used if I don't have to.

Can anyone tell me how they think these may gave been made?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

The ones I took apart had smashed fishing sinkers spaced out between the two layers.

Bruce,

After reading your reply I took a closer look and I think you may be right. Looking very closely, and with the sinkers in mind, I can almost see the shape of sinkers under the liner.

Thanks,

Dan

Hey, I'm lucky to be able to tell one end of a horse from the other. At the risk of sounding really ignorant, why would one weight reins?

You could also use some plumbers lead or lead free solder for the same use.

Tim

When my dad's company was still in full force, we built a few sets of weighted reins. The pair we tore apart had buckshot glued between the layers so that's what we used.

Back in the 1980's I used to get lots of people asking for weighted reins. I've made rounded ones, flat ones lined, braided ones, and rounded ones with silver lacing, And they are all a pain in the butt. I used lead shotgun shot. Just go to a gun shop and get a packet of one of the finer grade shots. downside is you'll have to buy 10lb of it use 1/4 pound, unless you know someone who reloads and will sell you a small amount. Also make sure you weigh out the two lots, one for each rein, if end up with more in one rein than the other, you'll be in trouble. Working with the shot is a little tricky cause it just runns like water. Work over a large shallow plastic tray. For lined and filled reins just poke the lead down in between the layers with a blunted off old screw driver. In other situations pour it out in a line onto a peice of upturned packing tape and the shot stick to it and you can control it.

Why would anyone use weighted reins? Yeah I ask the same question, but, you know, the customer is always the customer, right or wrong. They say that they use them on spade bits and other simailar type bits. They will train in an unweigted set of reins and then show in the weighted reins. In the show ring they let them droop right down so it gives a better picture of a loose rein. Also then by moving your hand it changes the positon of the weight relative to the bit and change the angle at which the bit wants to hang, and it is all done with a very long loose rein. Thats what they tell me anyway, meanwhile I'm just the dumb saddle maker :)

Hope this helps, good luck

only someone doing saddles and tack is likely to know.

A friend brought over some reins she would like duplicated. They look like normal split reins, but they are weighted on the bit end.

The last 18" to 2' on the bit end are lined and the weighting material is under the lining. I'd guess that it is lead wire, roughly 1/8" diameter but it seems too flexible. The reins are no stiffer in tha weighted section than I'd expect plain leather to be.

The reins she brought over are in good condition, I don't want to take them apart to learn what was used if I don't have to.

Can anyone tell me how they think these may gave been made?

Thanks,

Dan

some of the show reins that r made today, they use heavy conchos for decor and weight,

taper the end for the bit, than widen the rein to what ever size u need to place the concho on,

as for why people want weighted reins, it helps to set the correct poll postion with out having to hang on the horses mouth with ur hands,

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I'm going to run into town and buy some split shot sinkers and crimp them onto some thread. That should make it a lot easier to handle than loose shot :)

The woman they are for does do a lot of showing so DAM probably gets the prize for the why question. I didn't ask her why earlier but will the next time I talk to her.

Dan