hankthedog

Rocking Horse Saddle And Tack

Greetings to all , I'm new to saddle and tack, but have worked as a cobblers apprentice and am no stranger to sewing.

I realize saddle making is an art and not for the "beginner" == I have a few references on saddle nomenclature and a couple "books" that detail the parts and such as well as step by step for making saddles. I also have a Consew 226r and a Durkopf patcher (LOVE my patcher !) as well as a few lighter duty machines (good old singers) nothing less than 25 years old.

That being said, I'm certain I can build a saddle, or I wouldn't even try -

My question is this == as much as I'd like to learn the "proper" method of building a saddle, I don't believe I actually need a "real" saddle for a rocking horse ? This is my first horse of this detail and want the saddle and tack to be "authentic" without spending too much time and material on it = I'm building it as a prototype of sorts to test the waters if I may be able to be profitable doing so. Future horses will be more detailed (and different sizes) and the level of detail on the saddlery will depend on the customer.

So, has anyone any experience or input on level of detail and parts you would either eliminate or combine to ease assembly and save time, etc ?? For this horse I am planning an English style saddle mainly due to the small size of the horse.

Any input is greatly appreciated-

post-47559-0-49696500-1386613580_thumb.j

post-47559-0-18639000-1386613587_thumb.j

post-47559-0-53800700-1386613594_thumb.j

There's a thread about 5 rows down from this one with a pdf link to an english saddle making book. You could greatly simplify that (no panels etc) and just go for the overall look. Great looking project BTW

Thanks, already have it - I (like many others) never realized how involved a saddle is- I gotta visit my friend w/ horses and get a closer look see. Ordering my hardware today - a few more hours of sanding and I'll be ready for the clear coat.