craftstack

Should I Buy A Leather Wranglers Round Knife Or A Knipschield Round Knife?

I am somewhat a beginner at leather craft. I have slowly picking up tools as I go..... I am a firm believer that "Buy the best, Cry once!"

Id REALLY like a good, solid round knife that holds a good edge and will last for years to come. I see the Dozier's..... I don't want to wait 18 months!.....I see the J. Cook's but I also don't want to wait for his either. Ive kind of narrowed it down to either a Knipschield Round knife or a Leather Wranglers Round knife. What does every one recommend I purchase? I know I can't really go wrong with either but Id still like to know everyone's opinion! And What about Brett Bronson's knife? I spoke to him and he's an awfully nice person as well, I just don't know much about his knives?

thanks!

I am somewhat a beginner at leather craft. I have slowly picking up tools as I go..... I am a firm believer that "Buy the best, Cry once!"

Id REALLY like a good, solid round knife that holds a good edge and will last for years to come. I see the Dozier's..... I don't want to wait 18 months!.....I see the J. Cook's but I also don't want to wait for his either. Ive kind of narrowed it down to either a Knipschield Round knife or a Leather Wranglers Round knife. What does every one recommend I purchase? I know I can't really go wrong with either but Id still like to know everyone's opinion! And What about Brett Bronson's knife? I spoke to him and he's an awfully nice person as well, I just don't know much about his knives?

thanks!

I own knives from both and believe you'd do good by owning either one. They both make quality knives and both stay sharp and cut well.

They use different materials for their blades, not sure what all the metalurgy details are. You mention wait though and that may be the deciding factor. Last I checked Terry was shipping orders within 1-2 weeks. I believe LW states on their website they are 7-8 weeks but it wouldn't hurt to double check after Sheridan as they may have stock left from the show (doubtful but worth asking).

! And What about Brett Bronson's knife? I spoke to him and he's an awfully nice person as well, I just don't know much about his knives?

I have a Bronson knife, it holds a good edge, well made and good price.

Almost as good as a Bill Buckman.

If I need another round knife will be calling Bronson.

Another option is Bruce Johnson. He has knives ready to go. They are refurbished oldies but goodies. Tell bruce aht your looking for and he willl set you up. bruce is a contiributor here as well. i bought one of his knives and am very happy. Very soon I will travel the LW or another. I really like nice tools.

Jon

I own knives from both makers, both cut and hold an edge well. You will have to make the decision based on your desires.

Here are some differences.

One uses a more "technical" steel than the other. Is it important? Both steels have good properties for knives, you decide.

One is of traditional design, one is different, you decide.

One has better "fit and finish" than the other, you decide.

Major differences, none a gamebreaker for me, but you have to decide if it is for you.

Now, you mentioned several other knifemakers and the wait times. Some folks on LW collect knives. Why would anyone want more than one head knife, well they can and they do, and you could (if you knew what you wanted) maybe convince someone of the more than a few on LW to sell or swap something with you. Try a free ad in Marketplace.

You kind of missed your opportunity for a fast buy at the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show in Sheridan this weekend. Usually two to five sellers are there, and they sell out fast. The next show where I know Knipper and LW will attend is Boots and Saddles in Wichita Falls in October.

Art

I own knives from both makers, both cut and hold an edge well. You will have to make the decision based on your desires.

Here are some differences.

One uses a more "technical" steel than the other. Is it important? Both steels have good properties for knives, you decide.

One is of traditional design, one is different, you decide.

One has better "fit and finish" than the other, you decide.

Major differences, none a gamebreaker for me, but you have to decide if it is for you.

Now, you mentioned several other knifemakers and the wait times. Some folks on LW collect knives. Why would anyone want more than one head knife, well they can and they do, and you could (if you knew what you wanted) maybe convince someone of the more than a few on LW to sell or swap something with you. Try a free ad in Marketplace.

You kind of missed your opportunity for a fast buy at the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show in Sheridan this weekend. Usually two to five sellers are there, and they sell out fast. The next show where I know Knipper and LW will attend is Boots and Saddles in Wichita Falls in October.

Art

I know, I hate I missed Sheridan, I here it's wonderful for tool and knife buying! I will be sure Im there next year for sure! As far as the differences in design...Could you elaborate on the advantages to both Knipper and LW differences in design? I just would like to know what advantages each design offers? I will eventually buy both, but for now it's only one!

The big obvious difference is the handle layout. The Knip knifes are the traditional design with the handle straight back from the blade. Paul over at Leather Wranglers puts the blade on an angle to fit better in the hand. In theory it should give better control. Leather Wrangler round knifes also have an option for putting a cutting edge on the back side of the head to make pull cuts. Personally, for those reasons I think I've decided to go with Leather Wranglers when I'm ready to buy.

I have 10 or more head knives, leaning heavily toward the or more category. Many are the traditional design, some are traditional with the head angled. All range in size and profile, some thin bladed, some thicker, some new and some old. I use the LW knives more as skiving knives. I don't use the LW knives for pattern cutting at all because I have knives by Bill Buchman that are perfect for it. I've used traditional design head knives since the camel wore sandals and I don't have to think to use them. I just look where I want to go and I cut where I want. If anything, I think the LW knives are more like my angled knives, I have used them like that and they do work well, but they do have kind of a perfect angle for skiving. If I use a standard Bill Buchman knife for some skiving tasks, I start peeling my knuckles off.

If this is your first head knife, you can go either way because you have nothing to unlearn.

Terry makes great knives, I have a few or more, they work exceptionally well and are almost too well finished to put in the knife drawer. There are a couple of his that I use all the time.

Art

I know, I hate I missed Sheridan, I here it's wonderful for tool and knife buying! I will be sure Im there next year for sure! As far as the differences in design...Could you elaborate on the advantages to both Knipper and LW differences in design? I just would like to know what advantages each design offers? I will eventually buy both, but for now it's only one!

Craftstack...

I know you missed the show, but the best way to make up your mind is to attend one and try them out for yourself. Testimonials from leatherworker's you trust is good, but you may have a slightly different cutting style than your friends, and that will make a difference when choosing your knife. Most knifemakers will give you time to try the knife, and if, after a short but reasonable period of use, you find its not right for you, you get to return the knife for a refund, provided it wasn't resharpened or damaged in your shop. The leather industry is small, but its big enough for all knifemakers, and there is a place and a need for all of them.

Terry Knipschield

thanks!

Craftstack...

I know you missed the show, but the best way to make up your mind is to attend one and try them out for yourself. Testimonials from leatherworker's you trust is good, but you may have a slightly different cutting style than your friends, and that will make a difference when choosing your knife. Most knifemakers will give you time to try the knife, and if, after a short but reasonable period of use, you find its not right for you, you get to return the knife for a refund, provided it wasn't resharpened or damaged in your shop. The leather industry is small, but its big enough for all knifemakers, and there is a place and a need for all of them.

Terry Knipschield

Knipper,

Thank you for finding my post and replying! I would LOVE to make a show sometime and I hope to someday soon! I stay so busy it's so hard to fit in traveling sometimes and I don't know of any shows that all of you come to in North Carolina! I am actually REALLY glad to get your reply to my post... I hear amazing things about both the Leather Wranglers and your Knipschield's however after talking to many many people, Id really like to purchase from you and plan to place an order next week. If you could answer a quick question for me however: I work with Horween's Chromexcel and Shell Cordovan leather. I Make iPad and iPhone cases, bags, and other things of that nature. I do lots of long cuts, skiving, short cuts, and some patterns...knowing that has led me to really consider your French style knife because of the cutting options it gives...Does that sound right to you?

Craftstack,

The French style head knife would be an excellent choice for you. The offset head allows for both long cuts as well as tight curves that you might encounter when making the small cases you described. It's been a very popular model for me. I wish I had made more of them for the Sheridan show.

Terry

I have a collection of knives that I have acquired over the years for my shop. I use the term collection now because after having purchased Terry's knives, that's what the others have become and will never be used again by me.

When you buy a knife from Terry you not only get the best knife money can buy, but an education about the care of them, the engineering and content of them, as well as a maker most willing to listen to your needs and concerns about your purchase and what he can provide. I'm not discounting the other makers, just relating the options and craftsmanship of Terry's product.

Mike,

After quite a few years as a moderator, you either started with or acquire the ability to speedread. I initially read your statement as "over the years for my strop". This seemed to me to be a unique and innovative methodology for justification of a knife purchase.

Art

I have a collection of knives that I have acquired over the years for my shop.

LOL Art...I've been there. I've scratched my head more than once over a statement only to realize I "filled in the blanks" and created my own bizarre interpretation of what was actually written! Join the club, you're not alone!

Terry

Mike,

After quite a few years as a moderator, you either started with or acquire the ability to speedread. I initially read your statement as "over the years for my strop". This seemed to me to be a unique and innovative methodology for justification of a knife purchase.

Art

Hey, you do have a problem! I have a knife by both... I posted recently about one making my life so much easier. You can't make a bad pick, just get the specific dimension from which ever maker you go to for the work you intend. That is why I have a knife from each, both are right for different challenges.

I have a draw gauge blade from knip, and it's amazing! I really want to buy one of his head knifes too! I have a good 1o knifes too, osbournes j cook, Steve powers, the weaver knife and my favorite one is a theo Harrington! It's old, it's thin and it cuts and skives like butter! I think the j cook is sharper however, but the feel of the old knife, and it's cuts are effortless! -Andrew

Craftstack,

The French style head knife would be an excellent choice for you. The offset head allows for both long cuts as well as tight curves that you might encounter when making the small cases you described. It's been a very popular model for me. I wish I had made more of them for the Sheridan show.

Terry

I have one of the Knippers French style knives and it is a fine one. Great knife