Sign in to follow this  
crazyguy

Consew 226 Help

Hello,

I Got a new to me older consew 226 this weekend. I oiled it up and tested it out on several layers of nylon, got the stitch length adjusted where I wanted it.

Then today I started sewing on my first project with it and the feed dog stopped working. I turn the wheel by hand and nothing. I also noticed the stitch length regulator no longer works.

Any Idea what might be wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks in Advance.

Sounds like maybe either you didn't hold your threaf when you first started sewing or it's not threaded correctly & the threajammed up in the hook & knocked the clutch out.

So you have to push the the button the on the bed (the one on the right)hold it down & turn the hand wheel backwards until you hear a loud click.Then you should put some oil around the bobbincase to get the jammed piece of thread out.

HTH,

Bob

Thanks So much Bob,

I will try that today!

Hi Bob,

I tried it but I don't think it was the clutch. It never tripped. I got it worked up with oi to go forward and backward intermittently. I think there is somthing wrong with the case that holds the bobbin. How can I take it out to clean it?

It also will not let me pull the thread up to begin sewing.

Any other ideas?

Edited by crazyguy

Look at the cltch & see of it's in the groove like the one in this pic.

post-7185-079313500 1302807581_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the photo. No mine did not look like that. It was tripped. I manually "clicked" it into place but something is still binding in there. Just turning it by hand it was tripped again.

I reset it and visually I can see no debris or broken/bent parts. It will run only if I manually tun the hand wheel as I press the foot pedal. When I turn things by hand you feel it bind at a point then turn freely again.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

The bobbincase sets inside of the hook that spins around it,put some oil in the groove that the bobbincase sets in.Also if your clutch feels like it doesn't take much to trip it you can adjust it by turning the screw w/a arrow on it on the clutch it's the larger screw on the end of the longer piece that looks like a chicken bone.

The screw I'm talking about is @ the end of the screwdriver in this pic,it's really not a screw because it doesn't have any threads on it & has a set screw that holds it tight on the belt side of the belt pulley,you should be able to spin it if needed,the clutch in the pic is set @ the max tightness when the arrow is pointing towards the belt.

post-7185-048428700 1302866000_thumb.jpg

G'Day CG,

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but I hope does , maybe for future reference.

I had no idea how to remove the shuttle, but being self taught in almost everything........I do now :yes:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31115

good luck.

All the best,

HS

Thanks Everyone!

I got it running using Bob's advice and oiling the heck out of it.

Strangest thing, Now I have a new problem that I am unfamiliar with. I keep breaking about 1/8" of the tip of my needles.

I cant figure out what is wrong. I am sewing with the same needles and material and the same way as with my 111-155 but the consew just keeps breaking tips now.

Any Ideas how to fix this?

You might want to take the needle plate off & see how close the hook is to it,it might be hitting do this to much & you'll be needing a new hook,you might try adjusting the hook guard to just touch the needle.

Bob

Hello everyone, newbe here and first post hope I do it right.

I just bought an older 226 consew myself ans am having trouble getting it up and going. I hope spmeone here can help me.

I am having all the same problems as the above poster is having plus I can't figure out the stich button. The manual I downloaded for it is for a 226r1 I believe which is different ten my machine. Mine has a reverse but only says consew 226 in it. The manual says to push down the left button until it snaps into something and then you dial in the stich size you prefer then line that number up with the same number on the wheel of the machine, mine does not have any number to line up with thats why I think it is an older model. when I push down on the button and it snaps into whatever and I dial in my number what do I do next? Evertime I try it the machine reverts to about 20 stiches to the inch and just stops up the bobbin area.

Also another problem is that when I do get it to stich the stiches do not look streat they seem to be runing at an angle.

I also seen that the needle is just barly hitting the side of the medal under the feeder block just a little, this don't seem right to me.

Any help some could give would help me a bunch as I live in an area that has no one to work on these mechines.

hanks in advance Mick

Hello everyone, newbe here and first post hope I do it right.

I just bought an older 226 consew myself ans am having trouble getting it up and going. I hope spmeone here can help me.

I am having all the same problems as the above poster is having plus I can't figure out the stich button. The manual I downloaded for it is for a 226r1 I believe which is different ten my machine. Mine has a reverse but only says consew 226 in it. The manual says to push down the left button until it snaps into something and then you dial in the stich size you prefer then line that number up with the same number on the wheel of the machine, mine does not have any number to line up with thats why I think it is an older model. when I push down on the button and it snaps into whatever and I dial in my number what do I do next? Evertime I try it the machine reverts to about 20 stiches to the inch and just stops up the bobbin area.

Also another problem is that when I do get it to stich the stiches do not look streat they seem to be runing at an angle.

I also seen that the needle is just barly hitting the side of the medal under the feeder block just a little, this don't seem right to me.

Any help some could give would help me a bunch as I live in an area that has no one to work on these mechines.

hanks in advance Mick

The only part I can help you with may be the stitch numbers. There are two 1/2" holes on the front of the machine. Look inside the upper hole.

Inside that hole you will see the numbers on a wheel. You need adequate lighting to see them.

Doug

Edited by Missouri Mule

push the stitch length button down & turn the machine until it goes in the groove,it(the button) goes down a little more you need to hold the button down(so it's in the groove) as you turn the handwheel towards you to make the stitch length longer.

Bob

push the stitch length button down & turn the machine until it goes in the groove,it(the button) goes down a little more you need to hold the button down(so it's in the groove) as you turn the handwheel towards you to make the stitch length longer.

Bob

Thanks Doug & Bob for the quick replies.

This is a great site, I just found it yesterday and have learned more about my machine in one day then I have in a week looking at other sites. You guys and Gals really know your stuff!!!

Bob, are you saying to just push the button down until it goes into the groove and then just dial in the number for the stitch and let the button up? When I do it this way the button is still in the groove and it seems to me it should pop out to hold the number at the correct spot, anyway that is what I have been trying to do so I gues I have been doing it wrong.

I'm new to the board so would it be better to move my questions to a new topic so it does not get lost with other post? I have a few more problems that I sure could use some help with. I'm not a sewing machine guy but can figure it out with some expert advice.

Thanks again I'll try it like you said.

Mick

I have a 226 consew with reverse. The stitch is set on 5 and the sttich lenth is way to short. It will not adjust out any longer only shorter. any ideas  thanks

I think your post are in a wrong place. End of a very old topic.

Anyway follow all steps in there videos, after that your machine will be " as new"

Uwe is the expert, and have made these videos

br jesper