George

Help With Juki 1541

I just purchased a used Juki 1541. What will I need in the way of needles and thread to sew leather? I've seen Organ Brand 135x16 leather point needles at allbrands.com. Are they sufficient? Any recommended sources for thread?

I'm planning on sewing mostly garment weight leather and single layers of veg tan up to 3-4 oz.

Thanks

If I knew I would answer! I'm surprised you haven't had a response yet...

If I knew I would answer! I'm surprised you haven't had a response yet...

Thanks Snap. It's in the shop now for a check-up.

I use a Juki 1541. I use Schmetz size 16 DP (diamond point) for almost everything I sew.

Good luck with your juki, I know I love mine.

KK

Here's a link to a past question that I asked about the different needle systems. I bought a Consew machine that used the 135X17 needle system and was in the same boat as you, not knowing what needles to get for sewing leather. The 135X16 needles are what you will need for leather. Here is a link to my old post.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=902

If you look through the old posts you'll also find what thread sizes go with what needle sizes.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

I just purchased a used Juki 1541. What will I need in the way of needles and thread to sew leather? I've seen Organ Brand 135x16 leather point needles at allbrands.com. Are they sufficient? Any recommended sources for thread?

I'm planning on sewing mostly garment weight leather and single layers of veg tan up to 3-4 oz.

Thanks

I use my 1541-S to sew patches on biker vests. I use Organ 135x16W's (130/21) for heavier leather like a coat but more often I use Lammertz 135x17 (120/19) roundpoints. The roundpoints work well in garment thickness leather and don't slice the patch threads. I have a bunch of Schmetz needles as well.

Groz-Beckert makes terrific needles but I find them harder to get. Here is one of the best publications on leather needles I have found.

Groz-Beckert Leather Needles

The 1541 likes #69 thread (.0115" dia)... at least mine does. It will sew #92 and #138 but I have always had to do tension adjustments and I find it annoying. So I stick with #69 on the Juki.

I buy thread from the Thread Exchange. I have always been happy with their products. I now have enough to last several lifetimes!

The Thread Exchange