Britkk

To The Point Of Madness. Need Help With English Bridle (Dye) Leather

Hi All,

Please help! :helpsmilie:

I'm going bonkers here. I just got some black Wickett and Craig english bridle leather and it's not struck through. I would like to dye the edges black but am seeking some advise from those who have done this before on bridle. Did you use oil or spirit based dye? Then sealed with beeswax then resolene? or just sealed with beeswax? I have tried spirit dye, then beeswax, but am still getting dye rub off. This would be for a handbag with shoulder strap, so wet (rain, sweat) on straps + clothes is not a combo I want to worry about.

Also, on the grain side of this bridle leather, it's coming off with a cloth...does this mean it was a bad dye job? I seem to remember on their site it specifically says that this leather does not need a finish.

Thanks.

anyone? I'm also getting a lot of rub off on the actual grain side of the leather with even a dry cloth. Also tried rubbing on Aussie...dye came off horribly. I'm incredibly disappoined in the outcomes I seem to be getting. What am I doing wrong? or is it bad leather/dye job?

Hi Britkk

I am new to leather work and have been asked to make a ten pen case from English bridle leather I tried edge kote etc without success.

I have had success using what leather workers call vinegaroon it is steel wool dissolved in white vinegar left for a few days until dissolved turns edges black instantly.

I am getting lots of wax coming off but not colour so I can't help there.

I use a lot of bridle leather and edge it with dye powder dissolved in water with a bit of gum tragacanth added and applied with a wool dauber. I burnish straps with canvas. I use a watered-down PVA adhesive (white wood glue) at about 50:50 as a final coat - the number of coats needed depends on the leather.

I'm surprised the dye is coming off - I haven't had that happen (yet).

Gary

The leather could have been over dyed in the factory. Sending an email to the company would help since they would know absolutely everything about leather, especially of dye coming off. When I overdue my projects I rinse the excess off with water and let dry and buff. If you do take my advice do so with a test piece since bridle leather is not a cheap bit of leather.

Hello, I have been working with english bridle leather, or bridle leather in Norway, english type. We use something called "R.O.C kantfarg" for colouring and sealing the edges before burnishing the leather edge. The ROC kantfarg is like a lacker, colour and binder. We burnish with bone burnisher. Hopes this helps. And pardon my english :)

Well, I tried asking W & C and got the feeling they thought I was crazy. I am still trying things...but here's what I have run into.

on edges- any application of anything - beeswax, Aussie, mop n glo, leather sheen (after beveling, burnishing, etc.) - and the tannery dye is coming off. Not even mentioning the dye i'm trying to put on myself. So, nothing is sealing the dang tannery dye in. What gives?

My sticking point is moisture, if I'm making utility objects that are on/near clothing I do not want rub off onto clothing, whether with sweat or rain.

the tannery process went wrong. From time to time every company will have a small batch of defects. Best bet is to add resolene, not sure if it will stay on the leather as there is most likely some type of protection/oils not allowing anything to penetrate the leather. Show them a picture of dye coming off your rag. If they don't respond back with a solution call in and ask them personally and insist on a refund. If they send you a bad piece of leather it cost you 200+ for something that is worthless because of the dye issue.
If it is just a small 1sq piece you ordered i wouldn't go through the trouble.

On a side note get a small piece of cloth and rub at a spot for 2 minutes straight with good pressure. then get a paper towel and see if any dye comes off, if colour shows on the towel the dye is not penetrating through the leather and is sitting on top of the leather and every time there is moisture the die will rub off.

Edited by DavidL

Thanks David...and All. I have tried most suggestions (just not edge kote, that stuff is just not good). and haven't had one thing stick and with any moisture the dye is off on my cloth. I'll call W & C tomorrow to try and get a refund, as it's a whole side.

if they can't refund you and you are still "at the point of madness" send it to me :winkiss: il put it to good use.

Hi all, just an update - this leather still has issues and scratches very easily. I am not sure how people favor it, but for what I need, it's not doing the job. I contacted W & C and was a bit displeased that they brushed me off. I'm incredibly hesitant to spending $350 (or any amount) with them again.

try barker leather for the real thing. Expect to pay double the price compared to W and C, it most likely will be top notch leather.

I was going to try the bridle leather from W and C the scratches can they be buffed out with a cloth or are they deep scratches?

This sounds like a bad batch from W&C. I use their Bridle and haven't had anything remotely close to this happen.

W & C by nature is soft leather that mars more easily than other brands. On the rub off issue, if I work with black leather all day, my hands and clothes are going to have some black on them. I've never had the problem to the extent that it sounds you are having, but there will usually be some rub off. Now, granted, I've never used W & C's black English bridle, but I've used a ton of their black harness and other colors of bridle. It's not a problem specific to them; black veg tan leather is usually going to have some rub off. I build horse equipment so it's not as serious an issue as it would be for handbags or other personal leather goods. I dye edges with Fiebings Dye, either their oil dye or regular spirit dye, and finish either with gum tragacanth or harness dressing, depending on what I'm making and how much I'm getting paid to make it. I'm thinking that to get a really top end piece of English bridle, you are going to have to spend a lot more, as mentioned above. Best of luck to you.