reddevil76

Tandy's Holster Sheath Kits

I am thinking of adding holsters and sheaths to my repertoire. Funnily enough, where I live, guns are outlawed and hunting knifes with blades more than 3 inch long will get you in trouble with the law.

So, without an actual gun in hand, I was thinking of buying Tandy's kits, and basing my pattern on that, and then apply creativity to make different decorative designs.

Can experts here advise if this is viable? It seems their kits are pretty generic as well.

Are toy guns banned? Or the solid models used for forming holsters?

As for knives, you may be able to make a wooden knife to use for forming the sheath. (It's pretty easy if you have a sander or grinder available.)

Yes, dummy guns as well. I know of these series of toy pellet guns made to exact size and weight of real ones, those are banned as well. Even cigarette lighters in the shape of guns, small ones, cannot make it through customs.

I think you guys get the picture. We are the only country in the world which bans chewing gum.

I used a Tandy kit to make holsters for my brother in law, who was involved in cowboy re-enactment. He was pleased with the outcome.

post-5639-060154100 1294751210_thumb.jpg

I generally shy away from gun-leather, because obviously guns are something to be taken very seriously and what is holding them ought to be top-notch safety wise. For family though, I was willing to give it a try. For a first attempt, and using a "generic" pattern, I was happy with the result.

For making gun holsters I would suggest getting dummy guns and learning about making your own patterns. That way you will have the most accurate fit. As far as knives....... If you are able to use the real knife for your sheath then you should, because you can't exactly buy "dummy knives".

I'm not trying to be funny, but why would you want a holster in Singapore? You wouldn't have any use for it, and I don't know how you'd sell many.

Pity my latest order with Springfield is already on the way.. I'd most likely chuck in an order for the book Reaves suggested in my next order.

Like Holly has pointed out correctly, with a gun, things should be taken seriously. So I think I should start with tried and tested patterns first to build up experience before trying to be creative.

Thank you everyone for the pointers!

I'm not trying to be funny, but why would you want a holster in Singapore? You wouldn't have any use for it, and I don't know how you'd sell many.

I am actually trying to widen my repetoire so that eventually when I start selling via e-commerce, i can reach out to a wider audience. And with e-commerce, the market is global.

I understand. Holsters are fun to make.