Dragons Pearl

making a light box to trace patterns

Hope this goes in this section, if not I guess it will get moved.

I am looking into making a light box to trace patterns from pics. Has anyone made one and what type of light have you used? I thought about getting two 18" florescent (sp?) bulbs and making a box 2x3 using 1x4's and a frosted plexi top. Would I be better off using a round bulb fixture? And what about heat. Would either need a cooling fan?

I know an incandescent bulb would get too hot. :whatdoyouthink:

Any input would be nice. Or plans.

the last light box i made was pretty much exactly what you described...two short fluorescent tubes on either side of the inside...with a 2X4 perimeter and some white plastic stuff i got from somewhere (frosted plexi would have been better)...i just put a rabbit (surely that's not how carpenters spell it?) about 1/4" inch down from the top on the 2x4's to slide the plastic in...i don't recall having any heat problems...flourecents usually stay pretty cool...you could go super snazzy and wire up some leds...but that would be rediculous

I've made one roughly 15" x 24" - probably based on the size of the plexiglass I got, maybe the light fixture. It's got a single fluorescent fixture, I suspect made for under cabinets. The box is pretty well enclosed, but there is no heat issue. Of course, you can leave one side open, too. There's no reason it has to be closed unless you want it to be more portable. Lumber has a tendency to twist, so use plywood instead (I ended up rebuilding mine). I tried to even out the light distribution with aluminum foil in different configurations, but I can confidently say it isn't worth the pain. I never did get it even and it really isn't a problem for what I need it for.

Dale

I've made one roughly 15" x 24" - probably based on the size of the plexiglass I got, maybe the light fixture. It's got a single fluorescent fixture, I suspect made for under cabinets. The box is pretty well enclosed, but there is no heat issue. Of course, you can leave one side open, too. There's no reason it has to be closed unless you want it to be more portable. Lumber has a tendency to twist, so use plywood instead (I ended up rebuilding mine). I tried to even out the light distribution with aluminum foil in different configurations, but I can confidently say it isn't worth the pain. I never did get it even and it really isn't a problem for what I need it for.

Dale

Would having two bulbs and frosted plexi be a better diffuser? Or is the one bulb sufficient? Which would be better, clear or frosted? What thickness did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to build something and have it not work as well as something else.

As for lumber, I have a lot of scrap so thats not really an issue atm.

Edited by Dragons Pearl

I have used ready made projectors in the past and work great. Not sure how big your original pattern to be projected is, but you might want to do an online search for "opaque projectors" from art supply stores. The smaller ones start around $35. Try www.dickblick.com Tim

for a 2 foot box...1 of those 18 inch lights should do well..but two would cut down on dark spots in the box (and thereby cut down on tinfoil usage...)....i'd use frosted plexi..you want the light to be diffused within the box...if you use clear plexi then teh light won't spread out as well

Hope this goes in this section, if not I guess it will get moved.

I am looking into making a light box to trace patterns from pics. Has anyone made one and what type of light have you used? I thought about getting two 18" florescent (sp?) bulbs and making a box 2x3 using 1x4's and a frosted plexi top. Would I be better off using a round bulb fixture? And what about heat. Would either need a cooling fan?

I know an incandescent bulb would get too hot. :whatdoyouthink:

Any input would be nice. Or plans.

Frosted plexi is the right choice for the top. You want even lighting coming up through your paper and the frosted finish is much better for producing that than a clear piece. Two light sources placed on opposite sides will also help insure even lighting, but really, for most needs wouldn't be necessary. If you only use one light source, you want it centered in the box.

The round flourescent fixture would be a very good choice as a single light source.

Dimensional lumber shouldn't warp much, certainly not in this kind of application. With flourescents you won't have a heat problem. With incandescents in that same space, you could hatch eggs :head_hurts_kr:

You will probably want to tilt your drawing surface a bit, it will be much more comfortable for sitting at and tracing if it tilts toward you some. If you'll always be working standing and leaning over it, then flat's ok.

Would having two bulbs and frosted plexi be a better diffuser? Or is the one bulb sufficient? Which would be better, clear or frosted? What thickness did you use?

Go frosted. Don't overdo the light. Like I said, I used a single fixture. For a 2' x 3' table, two fixtures may be ok. If it's too much, you can take the second one out.

DP,

If you intend to buy the Pictorial Carving Finesse/Figure Carving Finesse tracing patterns pack. In this pack, there is a layout for a light table. I find it very handy. I made mine out of medium density fiberboard. It's smooth and I dont have to worry about splinters.

Good luck.

Marlon

These are plans for a light box.

09_25_2007_09_09_00AM.JPG

09_25_2007_09_10_43AM.JPG

post-4941-1190726281_thumb.jpg

post-4941-1190726382_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the plan, Cecil!

Now, could Johanna or Monkey please tell me - and speak slowly and use really small words - how I can print out the second page of Cecil's diagram? I used all the computer skill I could muster, right clicked, clicked on print, and I got 1 of 1 pages with about the lower right 1/4 of the plan on it.

Thanks!

Mike

looks like that image is larger than 8.5 X 11 paper...right click on the image below and choose "save target as" then save it to your desktop and print it from there

jig.JPG

post-78-1190752541_thumb.jpg

Man, that worked fantastic. Thanks!! Anybody wanna start a pool on whether I can remember how to do that next time? :smashcomp:

If your bet doesn't cover more than two tries, your $5 might be in serious jeopardy! Thanks again.

Mike

I went a slightly different way, Rather then two layers of veg tan I wanted to use a scrap of Horween Essex I had for the inside. It is very stretchy almost like a sheet of rubber, but the problem then was the snap would not work, so I added a strap. I left the Essex in its natural color and I dyed the veg tan in black with white stitching (Practice for a belt I am making).

Edited by mickthedig

Keep it simple,,,pick up a cheap glass cutting board from a dime store, stick a electric window candle under it,,trace away.. I dye and cut on one of those cutting boards, they are tough enough to draw on, Dye wipe off with a little water, you can tape paper down while tracing.

Crayola make a kids toy called light up tracing pad. My niece has used it a few time and actually works decently for a kids toy. Might be something to look into.

Use your computer monitor