JeffGC

Problem Cutting W&c Leather

Yesterday, I starting working with a side of W&C veg tanned tooling leather that I had purchased in February 2012. With a freshly sharpened head knife, I could hardly cut through the leather. As the blade passed through the leather, it made a squeaking sound. I finally had to finish cutting out the holster with an X-Acto knife and that was difficult too.

I contacted W&C this morning, speaking with Matt, their sales manager. He was very helpful, explaining that the leather was old and had dried out, causing my problems. He suggested moistening the leather with either water or a light application of oil.

I have made holsters, as a hobby for about 40 years and have never experienced this type of problem. Due to my very low volume, I'm often working with leather that has been on the shelf for a number of years.

Have others experienced similar problems? If so, how did you deal with the problem? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff C.

Yeah, I occasionally run into this as I don't put out very much product. I've gotten in the habit of misting the flesh side with water. Don't need to soak it, just use a spray bottle and make a couple of passes. I spray the flesh side because the grain is usually the easiest part to cut through as it's less fibrous. Makes for an easier and cleaner cut.

Edited by CountryTrash

Yes, if it is dry it will squeak, especially in a leather stitcher. I just lightly oil it and let it sit overnight.

Art