Sign in to follow this  
eminart

What Kind Of Leather Do I Need?

Hello everyone, I'm a noob here. I'm wanting to get started doing some leatherworking. I'm wanting to start with some nice, custom dog collars, but I have no idea which kind of leather I should buy.

Can anybody help me with the type and weight I should get?

Are there any charts that show for example how thick 8 oz leather is? I'm thinking I'm going to double the leather and stitch it together, which will allow for more creativity with insets and stuff. So, I guess I'll want the leather to be half the thickness of what I want the collar to be.

Also, what the difference between a dye and a stain?

Hi, if you make web search for leather thickness chart oz, it will show you such charts.

8 oz = 1/8" = 3.2mm

4 oz = 1/16" = 1.6 mm

Vegtan (= tooling or carving leather) allows to do stampling, modeling, carving. And from the same not yet dyed shoulder or side you can make collars of different colors.

Other, already dyed leather is of the same color for the whole side. Not a problem if you can afford that and have a space to store it.

Harness and oiled leather are more weather protected. Latigo is more stiff.

English Briddle looks really good, more hot stuffed than tooling leather and is stiffer because of that.

Some tanneries may make leather thinner for you, otherwise you have to buy leather of required thickness.

Difference between dye and stain:

Dye is penetrating inside the leather, stain is more surface bound. In most cases a dye is preferable. Stains for antiquing, paints for surface application of color (it will come inside pores too, if they were not sealed).

I'm not making dog collars, but likely you will need to make them more or less water resistant (Resolene, Sno-Seal or others) and lined.

There is a lot of information here.

Good luck!

Thanks! That helps a lot.

I have now discovered that there is a sub forum specifically about types of leather. I'll do better with my post location next time.

You might consider buying a dog collar kit just to get started.

You'll get written instructions and everything you need.

Kevin.

Hello everyone, I'm a noob here. I'm wanting to get started doing some leatherworking. I'm wanting to start with some nice, custom dog collars, but I have no idea which kind of leather I should buy.

Can anybody help me with the type and weight I should get?

Are there any charts that show for example how thick 8 oz leather is? I'm thinking I'm going to double the leather and stitch it together, which will allow for more creativity with insets and stuff. So, I guess I'll want the leather to be half the thickness of what I want the collar to be.

Also, what the difference between a dye and a stain?

Weight for leather is measuered by the ounce. One oz. = 1/64". For example, 4 oz = 4/64" or 1/16", 6 oz = 6/64" or 3/16", 8 oz = 8/64" or 1/8". Die and burnish your edges to show good quality.

You want latigo leather for the really big dog collars. Veg tan is kind of OK, but if it gets wet, it stiffens up.

You want to use a die, not a stain. Try to find natural dies as some dogs MAY be allergic to man made chemicals. I am, why couldn't a dog?

Edited by flintlock

Weight for leather is measuered by the ounce. One oz. = 1/64". For example, 4 oz = 4/64" or 1/16", 6 oz = 6/64" or 3/16", 8 oz = 8/64" or 1/8". Die and burnish your edges to show good quality.

You want latigo leather for the really big dog collars. Veg tan is kind of OK, but if it gets wet, it stiffens up.

You want to use a die, not a stain. Try to find natural dies as some dogs MAY be allergic to man made chemicals. I am, why couldn't a dog?

Awesome, thanks! As soon as my tax money comes back, I'll be ordering some supplies. I have a nice quality rotary punch, and some hand punches, but I'm going to order order all the other "essential" tools and some leather. I do have a kangaroo hide, but I'm saving that for my falconry gear.

By the way, are there any better places to get stuff than Tandy?

Awesome, thanks! As soon as my tax money comes back, I'll be ordering some supplies. I have a nice quality rotary punch, and some hand punches, but I'm going to order order all the other "essential" tools and some leather. I do have a kangaroo hide, but I'm saving that for my falconry gear.

By the way, are there any better places to get stuff than Tandy?

Try Leather Unlimited.

Springfield Leather (see their banner ad up above) has pretty much everything Tandy does plus much better leather.

Dan