Vikefan

Leather Covered Copper Enclosed Wrist Cuffs

I have purchased (IMO) an exquisite piece of tourquoise from Nevada Gem. Cabachon I think it is called. I have also purchased some Copper.

What I'd like to do is make a wrist cuff, setting the stone, under a piece of leather and sewing the two pieces together once the copper inside has been curved to fit a wrist.

Has anyone attempted this? If so; do you have any pointers you could give?

See examples of stone settings in leather I've done before on two purses, and the last pic is the stone I bought.

Thanks,

Vikefan

post-7178-0-73413900-1412310209_thumb.jp

post-7178-0-22648500-1412310240_thumb.jp

post-7178-0-30220900-1412310337_thumb.jp

That is a beautiful stone you've got there. Not like any turquoise I have ever seen before, but I'm sure that is

because of 'where' it is from. Do you recall where that piece is from?

It also looks like you have done some nice settings of cabochon's and tumbled/polished stones and have

done a Real nice job of it too! The turquoise cabochon under the grey/black leather looks perfect to me. Nice Job!

I have never done something like what you are attempting, but I am sure when you are done it will be fabulous!

If I was going to do that, I would probably make some samples first to make sure of the sizing first, probably because I

would want to glue the stone and the leather/copper together to keep everything in-place while stitching it all up.

I Love the look of turquoise and leather. (I really like the look of the med brown leather with the turquoise.)

I hope you post pictures when you are done!

That sounds like an awesome project. Here's a shop that inlays them with rivets..

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/191528605?

I think you could do something a lot better with stitching or lacing, as you were thinking.

Vikefan __________

Mam - O - Man, This is an eye catching piece of workmanship,

I never had thought to put these specific materials together, Very good !

I'm especially fond of the round, brown, laced, leather with inlaid turquoise stone,

The black leathered piece with turquoise stone looks great too ! And the stone you are looking to set,

is a super looking stone all by itself.

This is an area i'm thinking to venture into, and your post here, has pushed me somewhat closer , Thanx,

Really nice work !..........................................Wild Bill

I just did a search here for inlay stone and found some interesting posts you might be interested in…

Like maybe this one… although I probably wouldn’t use the backing board on the copper bracelet - maybe a thin piece of leather glued under the stone and also onto the copper, to help keep the stone secure and in place.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31144 Scroll down to this post - Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:57 PM