Sign in to follow this  
buckskin1

learning to build a saddle

I have wanted to learn how to build my own saddle for most of my life. The problem is that there are not many saddle makers where I live. I was considering purchasing videos/books on the topic. I know that hands on training is much better but working full time and having a family puts a damper on things. I am wanting the video by Jeremiah Watt and was also looking at the videos by Bruce Cheany and Bill Gomer. Any input would be a great help.

Here's a couple links to threads where this has been discussed before.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=260&hl=saddle%20%20video&st=0

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...l=saddle++video

Hope they help. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them. Lots of people here who are willing to answer!

Thanks for the help.

I have a set of Bruce Cheaney "How To Build a Roping Saddle" in VHS format. 3 tapes 8 plus hours of detailed instruction. Im asking $100 if interested. Rick

I have wanted to learn how to build my own saddle for most of my life. The problem is that there are not many saddle makers where I live. I was considering purchasing videos/books on the topic. I know that hands on training is much better but working full time and having a family puts a damper on things. I am wanting the video by Jeremiah Watt and was also looking at the videos by Bruce Cheany and Bill Gomer. Any input would be a great help.

Buckskin1,

I started doing tooling on belts for friends and family, built a healthy tool collection over the years then started looking at doing saddles, I did some at home over the years with these books and video and now work in a saddle shop. I have learned more at the shop in the last year then I could have on my own at home. I recommend taking some saddles apart AND putting them back together. The Stohlman books will provide you a list of tools needed to do saddlery and the video from Bill Gomer will show hands on how to do some of the steps that might confuse you in the Stohlman books. You need some reference materials to work from to put a saddle together.....

* Al and Ann Stohlman Books, Set of 3

* Bill Gomer Video

* Stohlmans book on "how to use hand tools and keep them sharp" (Tandys has them on sale right now)

* Stohlmans book on "Hand Stitching" (Tandys on Sale)

* Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal - They have a wealth of info for places to buy materials

* This Forum - You can post photos of steps you are working on and ask questions, there is a lot of help here.

* Some basic hand tools,

round knife - learn how to sharpen them and always keep your other hand BEHIND it when cutting

utility knife - hardware stores have these, retractable blade, extra blades

stitching groover - Tandys

edgeing tool - #2 or #3 (tandys)

stitching needles - tandys

nylon waxed thread- tandys

Skiver - there are a couple different types, get both and extra blades

#5 stitching wheel - tandys

Misc. nails, screws, contact cement, watch the video and the books also have a buy list.

I am sure there is some others that I have missed but maybe someone else can add to it.

I know I am going to get some hate mail for this but I am going to recommend a inexpensive way to build your first couple of saddles... you can buy plastic ralide trees and stirrups off the internet for $100.00 and under @ www.ralide.com Also get your saddle skirting from Tandys, just get the hides used for repairs, they will have some marks in them but it is alot cheaper than #1 Skirting. (This is only a suggestion, you will drop a lot of $$ when you first start) and it is better at this point to get some expierience and not quit because you can't afford the hobby.

Once you get confidence you can graduate to the custom trees and better leather.

At this point you have some mistakes under your belt and have some other steps down right. Now if you want to go to a saddle school you will have some questions and will remember what steps you were not good at before going to the school and can concentrate on those with the instructor while building your saddle. The folks I knew that went to the schools that did not have any saddle expierience, when they were done and at home they forgot most of the class, and struggled, the ones I knew that had some time with saddle construction did better because they could get direct help with there difficult steps (exp. horn or seat) and the other steps they were familure with they just picked up another way or better way of doing that step.

Hope this helps,

Rick Jorgenson

Steve mason also has a very good blog on his site that I will recommend. You can check back through some of his posts and get the link

Blake

Buckskin 1................you are at a good place here on this forum to learn. You could probably take a week of reading through all the topics, and still not get it all done.

Here's my take on your question and situation. Book/dvd/video learning resources are the Stohlman books, J Watt dvds, Cheney videos, Gomer videos all good for the beginner......especially the books and Watt dvds. Harwood's dvd will be of much more benefit to you after you have built a few.

As for supplies and tools............I am going to disagree with some suggestions previously given. For trees..........buy the best you can afford, and certainly stay away from the ralide stuff. If you build a decent saddle on those trees, then most likely you will have a saddle to sell that is worth less than the material cost in it. The good quality mid range trees from Timberline, as one example will only add $125 approx cost to the total saddle, but provide much more than that in quality and value. As for the leather, you could economise there a little maybe, but..........I don't know what a side of Tandy's skirting leather cost, but you can buy #1 Herman Oak 13/15oz skirting from Panhandle Leather for $156 per side, plus shipping. As for tools...........unless you plan to build only one saddle, and then never use the tools again for another saddle or leather project..................buying cheap inferior tools is very much false economy.

Just my opinions, and I intend no disrespect to you or those who offered differing suggestions . Best of luck to you on your new saddle making journey. JW

Edited by jwwright

Hey Buckskin,

I'm in the beginning stages of learning how to build saddles as well. The most helpful thing I have done so far is to have gotten in contact with a "good" saddle maker and worked out a time when I could go and spend some time with him and get a better idea of what tools, materials, and education material would be most valuable. I spent 5 hours with him on a saturday morning and had to drive 3 hours to get there, but in doing so really raised my awareness of the value of good trees (nikkels) good leather (wickett and craig and hermann oak) and good tools (black, Douglas, horseshoe brand). Till I went there I would have most likely used inferior tools and material just to get the first one under my belt. Now I am content to wait till I can afford the better stuff and spend more time reading as I gather funds, tools, materials, and knowledge. I did pay him for the time he spent with me and he was very generous in not asking alot for it.

Good luck,

Rob Gerbitz

Edited by rgerbitz

OK, this is just my opinon, and like belly buttons, everybody has one, but; My recomendation is simple, first, get the set of books from Tandy (Encyclopedia of Saddle making by Al Stholman). They are the most detailed and complete set of instructions on how to, I have seen. After spending some time reading and understanding at your own pace you will know if you want to go on. Given that you do, you can buy a "kit" from Bowden Tree Company in Texas for about $700. Since you have read the books, you will then know that the kit is really just the materials to make a saddle, but; it is pretty complete and a good way to get started. Then locate the nearest Tandy store near you, you can get all the books you need including how to hand stitch and so on and they are fairly inexpensive and you will become very aquainted with them through the process of working with leather. You are now ready to start. Take your time and pay close attention to Al's directions. They are complete. Depending on your level of expertise with using your hands you can make a quality high dollar saddle out of those books, but; more importantly you will learn much more than you can using the videos. I have been making saddles for over 15 years and have made a lot of money and currently am retired from my career job (Advanced Seating System Engineer) and now have become an "antique seat system engineer", and cannot tell you the enjoyment and satisfaction that I get from making and repairing saddles. By the way, I still pull out those books each time I make a saddle, I always seem to either find something more to learn, or come up with an idea on my own. They are an excellent investment. I hope that you will decide to go forward with your project.

Good luck!

Bondo Bob

P.S. This is a pic of the very first saddle that I built from the books.

MVC_006S.JPG

post-8161-1231277238_thumb.jpg

Buckskin1:

I don't own any of the saddlemaking videos that others have recommended, but I do own the Stohlman saddlemaking books. Just like BondoBob, I use those books everytime I make a saddle. (Only six so far, but hopefully many more to come!) I found those books to be handy even when I am making a saddle totally unlike the Stohlman styles.

Money was pretty tight when I started learning saddlemaking (heck, it's STILL tight!) and after making my first saddle I REALLY wanted to make another one. To help me out, the old cowboy who taught me gave me a junker saddle that had been laying around in his shop forever. He told me, "Here, strip this saddle down, study how it was made, then remake it."

I stripped off the nasty cracked and crumbling leather and found the tree and its rawhide cover were still in good shape. I used the old parts to make patterns, bought a couple sides of skirting leather, and made a "new" saddle. When it was done I sold that saddle and made about $100 more than the cost of the materials. (I made sure to explain to the buyer that the saddle was made with a previously used tree.)

A $100 profit may not seem like much, but it was only my 2nd saddle and I was thrilled that someone liked it enough to buy it.

Good luck to you!

Chuck