I need to find a finish for an item, that is basically the toughest thing going.

I dont care if the item cant be conditioned later on, just that it can stand up to liquid spills as well as possible.

Anyone got any ideas?

(this all started from having a bit of coffee dribbled onto a piece, and finding the antiquing and tan coat rubbing off with the coffee)

Edited by Janice

Several applications of Resolene come to mind.

What specifically are you needing it for? With a little more info, we can give a better answer.

I have to agree with Mike . . . and as much down-play as it gets, Resolene is the way to go. What do I mean by "down-play?" I hear a lot of "It doesn't go on right, or it bloches, or fish-eyes, or blah blah blah . . ." Fact is, I went through a lot of trial and unsatisfactory results before I settled on Resolene because of it's simplicity and rugged properties. It does have it qwerks . . . DON'T SHAKE before use! And apply it with a damp sponge but don't over apply or it will gum up.

That being said (and sorry for the rant,) I tested it by by holding a holster under a cold shower for 30 seconds and then allowed it to set for a day. It had minor spotting that faded within a few days with no adverse effect on the finish. (I did this to simulate getting caught in the rain while out shooting.) Now, there ain't nobody I know that's going to stand there and get rained on for thirty seconds without running for cover, but I wanted a good soaking for science.

Now, with all that being said . . . . a couple of years ago I went back to recover some stuff left in storage for seven years in Dalonega, Georgia. Amoung the varios items were a couple of military cartridge boxes I made and treated with the Resolene. My God . . . they were mildewed to #%&@ and back. I was heart broken. So, one day I decided to try to clean them up as good as could be done and started by whiping away the top crust with a warm wash rag. HOLY SMOKES! They came clean as a whistle with nothing more than warm water and a little effort!

Now that being said, take a look for your self.

I love this stuff!

1812_Box_Before.jpg

1812_Box_After.jpg

1857_Box_Before.jpg

1857_Box_After.jpg

post-141-1245319104_thumb.jpg

post-141-1245319118_thumb.jpg

post-141-1245319139_thumb.jpg

post-141-1245319146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim

Janice, when I make stuff that has to be properly waterproof I now use Skidmore's Leather Cream as a 'sealer' coat and then finish with Skidmore's Beeswax Waterproofing Cream. It isn't the only answer, but I personally prefer it to Resolene because it is much nicer to use and smells so much better... Geez that old Resoline is foul stuff!

The other nice thing is that it wears pretty well and to re-waterproof you just rub a bit more on.

An easy and relatively cheap solution - give it a try.

Ray