markush

Back To The Basics Pancake

Since I started out with making a couple IWB's and then went right to snap removable OWB's I've never made a simple pancake with belt slots before. I figured I should probably figure out how to do them so here's my first completed holster with belt slots. I've been able to find information on the various methods used to cut belt slots but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on stuff like spacing and angling them.

These are spaced with the closest part of the slot 5/8" away from the stitch line and 3/8" away from the edge. And I decided to angle them out from vertical for no other reason then I think it looks better then straight up and down. What are the rules for belt slot spacing and angles...how many did I break?

de369786.jpg

3177b7f4.jpg

06db12ff.jpg

The closer to the pistol that the slots are, the tighter it will hug to the body, especially on the grip side. Of course you can take that way too far and make a holster that isnt wearable.

I dont know the rules, if they exist, but I do prefer to leave an ample piece of leather to go behind the belt. If it were me, I would move both of your slots towards the gun. The lead side by not quite a full slot width, and the trailing side by a full width.

Good looking holster BTW.

I don't know that there's any hard set rules either..if it fits and it works, you're good to go.

I like the looks of your slots and I would not change a thing.....looks like a good distribution of the weight bearing.

The only rule or law you violated, . . . is one of pysics. The greater the angle you make your slots, . . . the longer they will have to be to allow a full size belt to go through both.

That makes the outside edge also longer, . . . reduces the overall strength by changing the length/width/depth ratio, . . . which reduces overall strength and rigidity.

Will it cause a problem? It can, . . . which means somewhere, someday, . . . it will.

I tend to do more of the "straight up" slots, . . . but that's my way.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think it looks really nice. You could bring the slots in just a touch, but I think they look pretty close.

Regarding the angle of slots: at some point, folks around here determined that an angled slot is detrimental to the longevity, effectiveness, and overall strength of a holster. I haven't seen proof of that. In fact, I can only offer you examples of top tier professionals who do the same thing.

Not my photo, but this is a 60TK holster, designed by Tony Kanaley.

MiltSparks60TK.jpg

A better shot of the same model:

611116952_o4tZ7-L.jpg