Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

Pancake With Snap Strap

Playing with some ideas on a pancake with retention. It works well, tried it out at a local IPSC match though I'm going to relieve the rake of the weapon a little...

I messed up with stabbing some of the stitch line so that it is too close to the edge on one of the belt tabs, also going to re-stitch it with heavy thread after I glue it.

post-15329-015569100 1302669702_thumb.jp

post-15329-080417900 1302669699_thumb.jp

post-15329-053134000 1302669700_thumb.jp

Looks nice. Might be worth mentioning that a lot of times, some sort of reinforcement behind the snap is a good idea. Keeps the leather nice and rigid so that it unsnaps the snap, instead of just folding over.

I've tried kydex, rawhide, and steel. I think I like the idea of the rawhide best.

IMG_2109Medium.jpg

IMG_2111Medium.jpg

Have to look into the reinforcement for sure. I like the look of the raw hide, I tired .030 Kydex and didn't like it or the metal.

nice looking holster you did there btw.

Those are both good looking holsters, . . . will probably last a long time.

My only critical comment is the allowing of the head of the snap to lay against the wearer.

Over time, the snap head will begin to discolor the wearer's clothing.

I fix that by first using a male post for the male snap part and the female snap part.

I affix it to a smaller piece of leather, . . . along with a small piece of aluminum similar to the piece on the black holster.

That whole thing is sewn to the thumb strap in such a manner that the only thing that shows is the female portion of the snap.

The stiffener is there, . . . it works, . . . and the metal is removed from contacting the wearer.

May God bless,

Dwight

I see what you mean Dwight, I was actually going to cover it with some Horse butt like I did the the opposite side so it would not scratch up the fire arm. I'll have to try and use the posts on both parts of the snap for sure.

Thank you for the input.

I found some screw covers at Home Depot to use on the eyelet side of the snap that rides against the gun. I have to use a small bit of adhesive to get them to stay but it works to keep the steel off of the gun.