biker55

How Many Layers Of Leather Is Usually Used For Knife Sheaths?

the reason I'm asking this question is that recently with the scrap pieces of leather I've been getting at the local hobby shop some of the leather that I'm using isn't too stiff. is there a rule of thumb as far as how stiff a sheath should be or is it a personal preference? thanks

To some extent it is personal preference it also depends on the knife type and the use you are making it for. Do you use a welt? Do you wet mold? What thickness of leather are you using?

It needs to be stiff enough to support the blade. No chrome tanned, veg tanned only. 3 layers, front, welt, back. If you fold the leather the front and back are one piece. You always want a welt to protect the sewing.

Generic answers, there are exceptions.

is the welt the piece of leather that prevents the blade from cutting the thread? thanks

is the welt the piece of leather that prevents the blade from cutting the thread? thanks

Yes, very necessary if your knife is sharp.

I have seen heavy veg tan sheaths with welts side cut out faster than chrome tan leather. A lot can depend on how well the knife fits the sheath. If it is loose enough to twist a little in the sheath it can side cut out. I carry a razor sharp hunter in a 6 oz. chrome tanned sheath and have never had any problem, but it fits very tight and the sheath is brass riveted as well as sewn. Now having said that, a veg tanned sheath if properly made with a welt is superior. A pinch folded brass liner with a little epoxy makes even the lightest sheath safe and protects the cutting edge also. Wood can also make a excellent knife sheath, especially when two haves are shaped to the blade and are glued with a silicone adhesive. A little silicone squeezed into the cavity makes them very tough and easy on the knife edge. One of the favorite knives among hunters today is a Mora and they have a sorry sheath. The Mora knife is not very pretty neither, but it works very well. -- Tex