Hilly

Anyone ever ordered from Leather Unlimited?

Have any of you ever ordered veg tan sides from Leather Unlimited? If so, how was the quality?

I'm wondering because they have a good price on sides of lighter weight veg tan sides, and have 2 grades to choose from.

I could kick myself because I was there a month or so ago, and I never asked to look at their veg tan leather. They are mostly an on-line supply type of place. They don't allow customers access to look around their facility because of "insurance purposes", and only have a very tiny customer area where they will bring out anything you want to look at.

If anyone's interested, you can see their veg tan sides for sale. And no, I'm not affiliated in any way. Just wondering what you think?

I've also wondered about their 5/6 oz veg tan. From the picture it looks smooth and buttery, but you never know what the quality is actually like from month to month.

ed

Have any of you ever ordered veg tan sides from Leather Unlimited? If so, how was the quality?

I'm wondering because they have a good price on sides of lighter weight veg tan sides, and have 2 grades to choose from.

I could kick myself because I was there a month or so ago, and I never asked to look at their veg tan leather. They are mostly an on-line supply type of place. They don't allow customers access to look around their facility because of "insurance purposes", and only have a very tiny customer area where they will bring out anything you want to look at.

If anyone's interested, you can see their veg tan sides for sale. And no, I'm not affiliated in any way. Just wondering what you think?

I first ordered a Black 8/9oz double shoulder. Best one I've seen yet. Then I tried 5/6oz veg tan side, very rough bumpy at least 1/3 of it. Also they seem to take longer to ship than most. Most of the time I buy on sale at Tandy, and get decent quality all the time and FAST. If I order today I'll get it Friday. Other stuff is quite cheaper than Tandy. Look at the price of oil dye at LeatherUnlimited $23.95, then look at Tandy's price $32.00 club cost!. Cheaper yet is STLeather. Qt $15.95 . Someday I'll try STLeather for leather.

http://www.leatherunltd.com/care/dye/dye.html

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...ature=Product_6

http://stleather.com/2008-P35.html

Charlie

I've bought from LU several times.. they used to have some really nice almost white leather. Never let you into the back room as you stated. They would bring out as many hides as you liked to look at. They seem to have changed suppliers. Last time i visited the store they didn't have as nice leather. In the past they even had scraps you could buy or small quantities, but they don't offer that anymore. If you buy from them buy their top quality.

I'm impress ... how did you manage to find them?? LOL

Next time you head down this direction maybe we could get together and talk leather. I'm in Watertown, WI

JoAnn

I've bought chap leather from them and been very pleased with it.

Art

I've bought from LU several times.. they used to have some really nice almost white leather. Never let you into the back room as you stated. They would bring out as many hides as you liked to look at. They seem to have changed suppliers. Last time i visited the store they didn't have as nice leather. In the past they even had scraps you could buy or small quantities, but they don't offer that anymore. If you buy from them buy their top quality.

I'm impress ... how did you manage to find them?? LOL

Next time you head down this direction maybe we could get together and talk leather. I'm in Watertown, WI

JoAnn

No, it isn't easy to find them, is it? :)

Watertown, huh? My folks live in Lake Mills, and we go to the Walmart on hwy 26 just south of you all the time.

I would enjoy meeing up some time. It won't be till fall though, as I work about 70 - 80 hrs/week during summer, and don't find my way down there much during summer. No rest for the wicked, I guess. :)

I think the next time I need a side of leather, I'm gonna order from Wickett and Craig, just to see what's so great about it. If I need something like a fur, or hair on hide, or exotic, I'll definately consider L.U.

Take care,

Hilly

Small World... i love to have lunch at Mings in Lake Mills

And.. maybe we've seen each other cause i just happen to work in

that walmart store!!!

You really put in the hours girl... hope about 1/2 those hours

are spent working leather.

JoAnn

Small World... i love to have lunch at Mings in Lake Mills

And.. maybe we've seen each other cause i just happen to work in

that walmart store!!!

You really put in the hours girl... hope about 1/2 those hours

are spent working leather.

JoAnn

I've been to Ming's too. Great food there! Maybe we should do dinner at Ming's some time.

I WISH half my hours were spent working leather! I work for DelMonte during the summer.

I work on a harvest crew harvesting green beans. I'm one of the two people on our crew

who collect the beans from the harvesting machines and pour them into a semi trailer.

Our crew alone harvests about 1,000,000 pounds of beans in a single shift. That equals a

lot of trips up to the semi's while hauling about 21,000 at a time. I won't get rich doing it,

but I love the people I work with and for. I'd never work that many hours if I hated my job!

But I do spend a lot of time thinking about future projects while I'm at work!

Have a great day.

Hilly

I've used them in the past and am impressed, however I have to agree with iwannabeacowby, they do seem to take a little longer than most to ship.

Its the only place I've found so far that I can get pig skin rawhide.

FWIW, I won't ever order from them again.

I placed an order with them and got the standard automated "Thank you" email. Weeks later my leather hadn't shown up so I call to ask what's up, only to find they were out of the hide I ordered and the replacements haven't made it through customs yet.

One week later I call again to ask "Where's my leather?" The answer is that their shipment only just got out of customs and my order won't ship until later in the week.

One week later I call again; this time the answer is that it should reach me early the following week.

Nine days later the package finally arrives at my door.

This begins a whole NEW area of frustration. They have set prices for their hides based on grade (A or B) and size (large = 20-24 sq. ft, x-large = 25-30 sq. ft.) The whole reason I ordered from them was that IF the leather was high quality AND they sent me a piece on the higher end of the size scale it would be a SLIGHTLY better deal than going to the local Tandy.

Needless to say, the hide they sent was on the extreme low end of the scale for size and has holes and brands throughout what would normally be my main working area. To their credit, the areas of leather that aren't holey or scarred seem quite nice; all in all I'd rather go to Tandy.

Really, I wish Springfield Leather still carried the weight and grade I most commonly use.

So the Beastly Leather review of Leather Unlimited? Customer Service = Fail. Quality = Fail. Value = Fail.

I have purchased some small cut leather shapes from them. The customer service was OK ( I had to call 3 times to get the order placed), the shipment was quick but the leather itself was not so hot. A lot of blemishes, and for small pieces they sure are visible. The price was very good but I assumed that they would be a little better quality. I am pretty new to leathercraft so maybe my expectations were too high. I have a Tandy store nearby so at least I can see what I am getting - but the price is much higher.

Edited by Wishful

I think the next time I need a side of leather, I'm gonna order from Wickett and Craig, just to see what's so great about it.

Take care,

Hilly

Not to hi-jack this thread but I recently made my first order with them for a piece of show harness for a bag I'm making. It was such an excellent piece of leather I hated to cut it.

I think the next time I need a side of leather, I'm gonna order from Wickett and Craig, just to see what's so great about it. If I need something like a fur, or hair on hide, or exotic, I'll definately consider L.U.

Take care,

Hilly

I just got a hide from W&C yesterday that I haven't even had a chance to unbox yet. I'll take a few pictures tonight when I open it so you can see what a piece of their "Utility" tooling leather looks like straight out of the box. Utility is their #2 (out of 4 possible grades), I've used all four and here's what I have found in the past from low to high:

#4: Overstock is definitely luck of the draw

#3: Special is about the same as Tandy's top grade

#2: Utility is pretty damn nice

#1 Standard: I these cows must have lived better than I do

On the exotics, I'm not sure how they compare to LU (haven't shopped there, they seem to spread themselves a bit thin) but I just started using http://www.ostrichmarket.com and so far their selection has been decent and response/shipping was excellent. Last order was placed at midnight on 8/27 and it was on my doorstep 4pm 8/31from Florida to California.

Standard? Couldn't find it.

I just got a hide from W&C yesterday that I haven't even had a chance to unbox yet. I'll take a few pictures tonight when I open it so you can see what a piece of their "Utility" tooling leather looks like straight out of the box. Utility is their #2 (out of 4 possible grades), I've used all four and here's what I have found in the past from low to high:

On the exotics, I'm not sure how they compare to LU (haven't shopped there, they seem to spread themselves a bit thin) but I just started using http://www.ostrichmarket.com and so far their selection has been decent and response/shipping was excellent. Last order was placed at midnight on 8/27 and it was on my doorstep 4pm 8/31from Florida to California.

Standard? Couldn't find it.

First one on the list. Taken from their website:

WC_tooling_leather_prices.jpg

Thanks. I just checked out their website. Are those prices per square foot?

First one on the list. Taken from their website:

WC_tooling_leather_prices.jpg

Thanks. I just checked out their website. Are those prices per square foot?

Yep, that's per square foot. Their hides average 24-26 sq. ft. and shipping from there to Los Angeles is about $22-30 depending on what weight you get.

Also, if yoy have the leather split you can request they send you the rawhide split as well. They don't send it unless you ask for it.

Lately I've been getting my leather from American Leather Direct. The leather is great and the prices are pretty nice also. I just got a couple of first quality veg tanned 6,7 oz. double shoulders for around 4.50 a sq ft. delivery for less than $10. there's no min. order. They get their orders out pretty quickly. I've only ordered veggie tanned stuff there. Give them a try. Rob "not Bob" www.aleatherd.com or give Bob a call at 800-624-7642

Hi Spinner, which Tandy's top grade are you referring to? If it is the royal meadow (which is really blemish free), I would try buying W&C next time.

Hi Spinner, which Tandy's top grade are you referring to? If it is the royal meadow (which is really blemish free), I would try buying W&C next time.

For my business, I only buy from W&C reddevil, Tandy is simply for personal use or Patternmaking R&D. Client goods are all W&C.

I was referring to the Royal Meadow, which in my experience is FAR from blemish free, at least at my local stores. It does have some nice color and carves decently but the local stock is maybe 80% usable for the most part.

I have yet to see a hide from Tandy over 5oz that didn't either have at least a couple of places that have a hole, scar or screwed up splitting not to mention that most have an end that has been sunburned.

For my business, I only buy from W&C reddevil, Tandy is simply for personal use or Patternmaking R&D. Client goods are all W&C.

I was referring to the Royal Meadow, which in my experience is FAR from blemish free, at least at my local stores. It does have some nice color and carves decently but the local stock is maybe 80% usable for the most part.

I have yet to see a hide from Tandy over 5oz that didn't either have at least a couple of places that have a hole, scar or screwed up splitting not to mention that most have an end that has been sunburned.

I've bought the Royal Meadow only twice. Once was a 26 sq ft hide. Totally blemish free except for a scar the size of a bean.

The 2nd was a 29 sq ft piece, it did have an area about 1 sq ft worth which is darker than the rest, I assume from exposure to sunlight.

I was just informed by them that my elite membership expired on 1st Sep. If the utitlity is as good as the Royal Meadow, I might just buy W&C instead of renewing my membership.

I learned the hard way.  I should've read the reviews first.  I bought a side of veg tanned leather.  It was, with out any exaggeration, the worse piece of leather I ever purchased.  They called it their "A Grade".  Full of holes, tears and insect bights.  It was folded in half then rolled up, leaving a crease in the middle.

I was behind on a project and used some out of desperation. I figured maybe I could cut out small usable pieces for straps, gussets and the like.   No, I was grossly mistaken.  I would examine the leather and cut out a pattern from what looked OK but when I died it, all kinds of scarring and other defects appeared.

How do these guys sleep at night?  It would be one thing if they were honest and advertised that they're leather was crap, but to call it "A-Grade" is deceptive and just plain wrong.