Be gentle on me guys. THis will be my first official piece. I am getting ready to make a cuff but wanted to try staining something before I got to the cuff. All I have done is tooled the skull and outlined the coaster? like, dislikes, and tips are more than appreciated.

thanks.,

img3109k.jpg

hole lee smackers !! that's incredible for a first piece! Can't wait to see your work a year from now. Nice!!

Thanks very much! I am going to dye this with a tandy oxblood color. Will it still show some of the dark and tighter transitions? or will I have to use something else to get the shadows to come through?

Here it is after a coat of stain and some antiquing. I wish the stain would have let some of the shadows come through but it didn't O well. All that is left is to Burnish the edges and add the rivets.

img3128pm.jpg

very very cool. I love carving skulls. That one is nice, well done.

What is the best tool for cutting leather to cave clean sides that are better for burnishing? I am really new to all this and I just used an exacto knife. it didn't really work very well and I spent alot of time cleaning up the edge.

Nice looking skull. You could use an artist paint brush to bring out the shadows. If you can't put out the money for a head knife you could use a Stanley knife. Just try not to lean the knife to the right or left but keep it upright as you cut.

Panther

ah very nice....being new myself that looks super cool

my first piece was a skull as well haha

Nice looking skull. You could use an artist paint brush to bring out the shadows. If you can't put out the money for a head knife you could use a Stanley knife. Just try not to lean the knife to the right or left but keep it upright as you cut.

Panther

Just an artist brush with a darker color dye I guess?