Sign in to follow this  
Daggrim

contract cutter do it?

Hi, I've read a few items in the Forum about clickers and arbor presses, and it's helped tremendously. At the risk of asking for answers that have already been given, I'm looking for something that would cut a pattern 28" by 9" out of 12 oz skirting. That would be the frame of my leather medieval helmet. Production numbers are low, only about 50 cuts per year, so I need economy tools. Why don't I just cut it by hand? Well, I suppoe I could, but most of you know how diabolically difficult it is getting into your shop when you have a regular job, and a family. So, would the Horbor Freight 15 ton arbor press do this job? I'm thinking the size of my die would be the main problem.

Daggrim

Another possible (and maybe cheaper) solution is just to use a bandsaw to cut it out. I do this with Skirting leather all the time. You get pretty quick once you get the hang of it (especially if you are cutting many of the same thing).

Great idea. I actually tried using a scroll saw for awhile (with a reciprocating blade). It even worked, but not well enough to continue. Some good folks on a scroll saw forum helped me as much as they could, but I was a poor fit...the redheaded stepchild. I just saw today where Northern Tool has a meat cutting band saw on sale for $189, but I think there'e just not enough throat there to do the job on my long pieces.

easiest and cheapest way might be to have a contract cutter do it. Have a clicker die made, send to them and have them cut as you need them. A few leather suppliers do it. Stevenson Paxson did some work for me before I bought a Atom SE20. They are in Novato Calif. Ask for Dave F