Sign in to follow this  
ez2endo

Newbie leather worker !

Hiya guys,

I am in Illinois and brand new to leather crafting My Brother was very much into it out in California, He died about two years ago. I told my sister in law I wanted ALL his leather working tools and materials. It took two years but I finally got all his stuff. IN ABOUT 18 BOXES FROM UPS!!

I thought she was just draging her feet getting all this stuff to me. An amaizing amount of tools, materials, rivits, buckles, kits, punches, chisels, tools I didn't have ANY idea of what they did. Just A TON OF STUFF! I have ordered a catalog from TANDY and that helped out quite a bit, identifing many items, especially the tools and what they are used for.

I have always had an interest in leather work but never invested in any tools etc. . . . Now I dont have to.

There are a bunch of instructional books, I will diffenetly need read. There is a big huge book (12x24) by

F.O. Baird entitled "DESIGN ARTISTRY a portfolio of orginal designs and how to design your own".

Dated 1955 and in excellent condition. It has a vinyl cover though, if its dated 1955 did they use vinyl then? Is it a repo? It is in such good condition I thought it was a reprint or something. But nowhere do I see any other dates or the words "reprint" or "copy"

I have tried researching this and have found other books by this author but not this one. Has anyone heard of it? My sister in law said it was his "pride and joy"

I am going to try and get into leathercraft as soon as I get all this stuff organized and put away. Anyone have any suggestions for a newbie? What to start on? what to avoid? Where/how do you store your stuff? I need some ideas on designing a leather bench. storing all the items, and suggestions for a beginner that would help with the learning curve!

I would love to see some pictures of your leather workshop if you would care to post them! I will bet they range from a simple desk to elabrate set up involving a whole room, or more! Lets all brag a bit to our brothers in Leatherland. Lets see where you work your craft. Is that an Idea? or perhaps someone thought of it already, in that case direct me.

Thanks Guys

Chet

justxr.com/ez2endo

Edited by ez2endo

Chet welcome... if you can think it there is a search function that will help you.

you have started late and there is a lot of catching up to do.

go back and read the older post........there is tons of information to be had.

I would love to see some pictures of your leather workshop if you would care to post them! I will bet they range from a simple desk to elabrate set up involving a whole room, or more! Lets all brag a bit to our brothers in Leatherland. Lets see where you work your craft. Is that an Idea? or perhaps someone thought of it already, in that case direct me.

Thanks Guys

Chet

justxr.com/ez2endo

Here's a thread with loads of photos that you're asking for:-)

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=826